Get only first element of array from SQL fetch array

imprint
Go to solution Solved by cyberRobot,

I have the following code which prints results from a sqlsrv_fetch_array() using a while loop. For one segment, however, I only need the first $value of the $key=>$value pair, and obviously with the code written this way it returns all rows.

I have an idea of an approach, and I'm wondering if I'm headed in the right direction or if anyone has experience with this that they can share. So, during the while loop, I am pushing the elements of the sqlsrv_fetch_array() into a separate array.

So I see two potential options: 

1. Print from the $actcontacts[] array rather than from the sqlsrv fetch array.

2. During the while loop, rather than pushing anything into a new array, build a conditional that says to only print the record if $row['ENDTIME'] is in position $row[0].

I'm leaning toward #2, but I'm not quite sure how to get there...and if there is a better way under door #3, I would like to try that.

while ($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array( $stmt_act, SQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC) ) {
    $actcontacts[] = "N/A" . "," . $row['COMPANYNAME'] . "," . $row['CITY'] . "," . $row['STATE'] . "," . $row['CUST_Salesman_124705300'] . "," . $row['ENDTIME'] . "," . "ACT";
    // I have done a print_r() on $actcontacts and the data is correct.
    $endtime[] = $row['ENDTIME'];
    echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . "<i>N/A</i>" . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['COMPANYNAME'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['CITY'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['STATE'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['CUST_Salesman_124705300'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['ENDTIME'] . "</td>"; // This is the bugger that is printing eleventy records. It may be one customer, but there are always multiple contact/history entries.
    echo "<td>" . "ACT" . "</td>";
    echo "</tr>";
}

So you want the value of $row['ENDTIME']  to be output only once for the first row of the returned result set and not for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc...rows? Then what you need is an if at the start of the loop

while ($row = sqlsrv_fetch_array( $stmt_act, SQLSRV_FETCH_ASSOC) ) {

$endtime = !isset($endtime) ? $row['ENDTIME'] : '';

$actcontacts[] = "N/A" . "," . $row['COMPANYNAME'] . "," . $row['CITY'] . "," . $row['STATE'] . "," . $row['CUST_Salesman_124705300'] . "," . $endtime . "," . "ACT";

echo "<tr>";
    echo "<td>" . "<i>N/A</i>" . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['COMPANYNAME'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['CITY'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['STATE'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $row['CUST_Salesman_124705300'] . "</td>";
    echo "<td>" . $endtime . "</td>"; // should only be output for the first row
    echo "<td>" . "ACT" . "</td>";
    echo "</tr>";
}
Edited by Ch0cu3r

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.