JScolor to PHP Variable

cjenkins08
Go to solution Solved by Jacques1,

I am working with this color picker code from jscolor.com and I am trying to use this particular example

<script type="text/javascript" src="jscolor/jscolor.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
function updateInfo(color) {
    document.getElementById('info-r').value = color.rgb[0];
    document.getElementById('info-g').value = color.rgb[1];
    document.getElementById('info-b').value = color.rgb[2];
}
</script>

Color: <input class="color {onImmediateChange:'updateInfo(this);'}" value="66ff00">
R: <input id="info-r" size="2" />,
G: <input id="info-g" size="2" />,
B: <input id="info-b" size="2" />

After a submit button is clicked I need to assign variables to each of the RGB in PHP, but I'm not quite sure how to take those javascript values over to PHP.

Any help is appreciated.

I am trying as you said and pulling them with $post using the following code in my php file

$colorr = $_POST['color'][0];
$colorg = $_POST['color'][1];
$colorb = $_POST['color'][2];

The form is the same as original post except I added the name property to the input field

<form action="100-text-no-color.php" name="genForm" method="post">

Color: <input name="color" class="color{onImmediateChange:'updateInfo(this);'}" value="66ff00">
R: <input id="info-r" size="2" />,
G: <input id="info-g" size="2" />,
B: <input id="info-b" size="2" />

<input type="submit" value="Generate Grid" style="height: 40px; width: 180px; font-size: 17px;" />

</form>

When I go to display the variables, I am getting the first 3 digits of the HEX code as opposed to the RGB values. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

I think you're just confused because of all the fancy JavaScript.

You have four input elements, right? The first one holds the hexadecimal value of the color. That's also the one you've called “color”, so the “color” parameter will contain a string with 6 hexedecimal digits. Not exactly surprising.

You want to use the other input fields? Well, then give those a name. Call them “r”, “g”, “b”. Or call them “color[0]”, “color[1]” and “color[2]” to make the “color” parameter an array.

Oh yeah, I'm confused alright. I'm still new, but I'm trying.

Your post made sense to me and I made some progess, but have one more stumbling block.

I have this html

Color: <input name="color" class="color{onImmediateChange:'updateInfo(this);'}" value="66ff00">
R: <input id="info-r" name="colorr" size="2" />,
G: <input id="info-g" name="colorg" size="2" />,
B: <input id="info-b" name="colorb" size="2" />

and this in my php file

$colorr = $_POST["colorr"];
$colorg = $_POST["colorg"];
$colorb = $_POST["colorb"];

So this is now working to pull the value of the RGB fields, the problem is when jscolor sets these values it seems unless it is a 0 or 1 they put a decimal in front of the number and some are longer than 3 digits.

Example

R 0.08999999999999997

G 1

B 0.286

So when I go to display these colors they are not recognized.

How can I strip the decimal and the number in front of the decimal and also strip any digits past the decimal that are more than 3 places out :facepalm:

Thanks for the help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.