Making a quiz/election vote script, any ideas?

vistavision

Hi all,

I want to make a quiz but I'm stock in the process. I've created a form with radiobuttons with questions, so for example:

Question 1:
Q1A,Q1B,Q1C

Question 2:
Q2A,Q2B,Q2C

After visitors filled in the answers, the form post it to my results.php. This works perfectly. Now I have a MySQL database with:

+----------+--------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
| PRODUCT  |  BRAND | Q1A | Q1B | Q1C | Q2A | Q2B | Q2C |
|          |        |     |     |     |     |     |     |
| product1 | Apple  | 1   | 0   | 1   | 0   | 1   | 0   |
| product2 | HP     | 0   | 1   | 1   | 1   | 1   | 1   |
| product3 | Dell   | 0   | 0   | 0   | 0   | 1   | 0   |
| product4 | Compaq | 1   | 1   | 1   | 0   | 0   | 0   |

So if the user select Q1C in question A and Q2A in question B, I want to count all the values from the selected columns, so in this case:

Product1 = 1 + 0 = 1
Product2 = 1 + 1 = 2
Product3 = 0 + 0 = 0
Product4 = 1 + 0 = 1

Product 2 wins and is most relevant. I then want to show the top 3 on the page. In total I have about 20 questions and 400 products and I want to create a top 3 list, based on the selected answers.

I have a few questions:
1) Is this possible? Or are there better ways to make a election/voting script? Any examples?
2) How can I add the values from multiple columns together and make a total score for the visitor?

For example, I need something like this:

http://www.stemwijzer.nl/votematch2k2006/app.html

I really hope you guys can help me with this! I really want this!! Thanks so much in advance!!

Kind regards,

Mark

1) Is this possible? Or are there better ways to make a election/voting script? Any examples?

Yes, it is possible. I might arrange the tables differently.

| PRODUCT  |  BRAND |Question    | Answer   
+----------+--------+------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
|          |        |            |     |     |     |     |     |
| product1 | Apple  | 1          | A
| product 1  Apple  | 2          |  B  |     |     |     |     |     |

You don't have to store the brand in every row (in fact you should pull it out). This allows you to have a different number of questions for each poll.

2) How can I add the values from multiple columns together and make a total score for the visitor?

I'd make an array with product as key.

then I would select those products where the answer was the same as the user's answer and increment the array as each question was answered. something like:

$query="SELECT * FROM mytablename where Q='question_id' and answer='$users_answer'";
$result=mysqli_query($link,$query)
while ($row=mysqli_fetch_assoc($result)){
   $score[{$row['product']}]+=1;
}
Edited by davidannis

Hi davidannis,

Thanks for your great reply and for your help. Only I want it a little bit different I think. It's not that there is a right or wrong answer to the questions. I want to work with points. So if a user choose answer A for example, I want to add 2 points to all products, if they choose B, I want to add 3 points to all products etc. The points are different with each question. In the end, the product with the most points is number 1!

Please tell me how I can make this? I'm willing to learn and try things out, but I need to know how to start. I hope you can help me!

Thanks!!! Really appreciate it!

Hi davidannis,

Thanks for your great reply and for your help. Only I want it a little bit different I think. It's not that there is a right or wrong answer to the questions. I want to work with points. So if a user choose answer A for example, I want to add 2 points to all products, if they choose B, I want to add 3 points to all products etc. The points are different with each question. In the end, the product with the most points is number 1!

Please tell me how I can make this? I'm willing to learn and try things out, but I need to know how to start. I hope you can help me!

Thanks!!! Really appreciate it!

What I did will add one point to each product for every answer that the user picks which agrees with the value for that product in the databases. "Adding 2 points to all products (I assume just those products that agree with the user's preference) for one question and 3 points to all products that agree with another question requires an additional field in the database that tells how many points a question is worth.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.