simple shopping cart - "expects parameter 1 to be..."

CherryLips
Go to solution Solved by Ch0cu3r,

I think my cart is almost finished. I'm just getting this message when I try to change the quantity of an item in my shopping cart (the table is appearing empty):

Warning: mysqli_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result, boolean given in C:\xampp\htdocs\skel\co_handler.php on line 24

I have attached the co_handler (checkout handler), the qty_handler and the checkout file.

I read in the FAQ's for this thread that this is because my query failed. This confuses me because it works in other aspects of my cart. I have been looking over the code and I'm lost. I think this might have something to do with my qty handler? Any insight on where to start for reconciling this issue would be much appreciated.

co_handler.php

qty_handler.php

checkout.php

• Solution

read in the FAQ's for this thread that this is because my query failed.

To find out why it is failing your need to retrieve the error message from mysqli_error

Line 23 of co_handler.php

$result = mysqli_query($conn, $sql);
if(!$result)
    trigger_error('MySQL Error: ' . mysqli_error($conn), E_USER_ERROR);

Hi,

there are several other issues in the code.

First of all, there's no security at all. You blindly trust the user input and insert it into your queries and your HTML markup. This can be used by attackers to manipulate your queries and steal arbitrary data from your database (e-mail addresses, password hashes etc.) or even take over the entire server. In addition to that, they can inject arbitrary JavaScript code into your page and, for example, steal the session IDs of your users to trick them into handing out their password.

Never trust user input. If you actually plan to build a shop, such carelessness will get you into serious trouble. But even if you do this just for fun, you need to starting thinking about security. Attackers won't spare your server just because you're new to PHP.

See this overview of common security vulnerabilities. In addition to that, you'll want to learn how to use MySQLi correctly.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.