Swap value of ->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC) in WHILE loop

Raz3rt

Hi,

In my code i am fetching row per row out of my database through

->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC)

this fetch have i put in a WHILE loop to fetch all the rows, one at a time

while($select_rma_row = $select_rma_detail->fetch(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC)){

In my array $select_rma_row there are a lot of value's that are (int) 1 and i really want to echo them as "YES" (1 = YES)

What is the best way to change every (int) 1 to "YES" in that array?

also is there a whay i can call every $key inside that array? Like you do with a foreach i.e. :

if $select_rma_row[$key] == 1 { $select_rma_row[$key] == "YES"; }

Thank you!

Edited by Raz3rt

Hi,

I doesn't make sense to hard-code a “YES” or “NO” into your array, because like you said, this is only for displaying. Leave the array as it is and do the “YES/NO” thing when you actually display the content.

By the way, you neither need fetchAll() nor the old while (... fetch()) pattern. You can use a PDOStatement directly in a foreach loop:

<?php

$rma_details_stmt = $database->query('
');

foreach ($rma_details_stmt as $rma_details)
{
	// ...
}

You may have to adjust the fetch mode. This can be done per statement or globally for the whole database connection.

Hi,

I doesn't make sense to hard-code a “YES” or “NO” into your array, because like you said, this is only for displaying. Leave the array as it is and do the “YES/NO” thing when you actually display the content.

By the way, you neither need fetchAll() nor the old while (... fetch()) pattern. You can use a PDOStatement directly in a foreach loop:

<?php

');

{
	// ...
}

You may have to adjust the fetch mode. This can be done per statement or globally for the whole database connection.

I think he may need nested foreaches, because he wants the keys (field names).

{
     foreach( $rma_details as $k => $v )
     {
          // $k is the key and $v is the value of the field
     }
}

Hi,

<?php

');

{
	// ...
}

Whow, i dont know why i didn't know that before!  The only thing i see now is that the foreach does the same as a fethall() so i have every value 2 times in the array ... How can i solve this? Sorry for all the questions but i am still learning.

For the original question, if you don't need the 1 or 0 for some other reason (or even if you do, just include both the column and the column case), do it in the query:

SELECT column_name, CASE WHEN column_name IS 1 THEN 'Yes' ELSE 'No' END AS something FROM table_name

Or:

SELECT column_name, IF(column_name=1,'Yes','No') AS something FROM table_name

For the fetch issue:

$select_rma_detail->setFetchMode(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);
Edited by AbraCadaver

Not sure what you mean. You use the loop instead of fetchAll().

Are you still trying to replace the values?

I'm sorry i didn't want to be unclear! Well maybe it is better to show my whole code so you got a better idea of what i would like to have?

Anyway here you have the code:

1. The select:

$selectrmadetail = $dbh->prepare ("SELECT rd_rma_nr, rd_artikel_code, rd_serienr, rd_ontvangenklant, rd_onder_waarborg, rd_omr_rep, rd_teruggestuurdklant, rd_afgehandelklant FROM rma_detail LEFT JOIN rma ON rma_detail.rd_rma_id=rma.r_id LEFT JOIN klanten ON rma.r_klantid=klanten.k_id WHERE k_id = ?");
    $selectrmadetail->bindParam(1, $_SESSION['k_id']);
    $selectrmadetail->execute();

2. Publish it

<?php

foreach ($selectrmadetail as $selectrmadetailrow){
      foreach ($selectrmadetailrow as $k => $v){
        //var_dump($selectrmadetailrow);
        echo "<td>$v</td>"
      }
  }
?>

So now when i execute this i got 3 problems

1. I want to have all of the rows nicely on the screen (row per row)

2. Now i have all of the value's 2 times on my screen. When i do var_dump i got this:

array(16) { ["rd_rma_nr"]=> string(9) "201405022" [0]=> string(9) "201405022" ["rd_artikel_code"]=> string(7) "34-CXN3" [1]=> string(7) "34-CXN3" ["rd_serienr"]=> string(13) "5411284116133" [2]=> string(13) "5411284116133" ["rd_ontvangenklant"]=> string(1) "1" [3]=> string(1) "1" ["rd_onder_waarborg"]=> NULL [4]=> NULL ["rd_omr_rep"]=> NULL [5]=> NULL ["rd_teruggestuurdklant"]=> NULL [6]=> NULL ["rd_afgehandelklant"]=> NULL [7]=> NULL } array(16) { ["rd_rma_nr"]=> string(9) "201405022" [0]=> string(9) "201405022" ["rd_artikel_code"]=> string(7) "34-CXN3" [1]=> string(7) "34-CXN3" ["rd_serienr"]=> string(13) "5411284116133" [2]=> string(13) "5411284116133" ["rd_ontvangenklant"]=> string(1) "1" [3]=> string(1) "1" ["rd_onder_waarborg"]=> NULL [4]=> NULL ["rd_omr_rep"]=> NULL [5]=> NULL ["rd_teruggestuurdklant"]=> NULL [6]=> NULL ["rd_afgehandelklant"]=> NULL [7]=> NULL }

3. I want the rd_rma_nr to have a link wrapped arround it so when i click on it i can navigate to a detail page where in the header the rd_rma_number is send with (index.php?page=rma-detail&id=201405022).

All that is possible with a WHILE loop exept in a while loop i didn't knew what to do to change the value 1 to "YES". Now you where saying i could better use a foreach so my first question isn't really an issue anymore. But now i could use some help because this will be the first time i am doing a fetch with a foreach.

Edited by Raz3rt

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.