Scared PHP Newbie

Lalien

Hey guys,

My name is Miles.

I finally worked up the courage to really join the PHP community now that I have elected to not join the student loan slavery path and chosen not to go to university. I take community college classes and I have a job as a project manager for a very small auction software company. There are times when I wish I could do some of the work myself, but most of the time I just assign it to somebody else. It's very frustrating. 

I have looked around the site a bit and most of the site is just hieroglyphics to me. I understand the basic concepts, but everything looks way different from the code I've written. But then again, I write bad code. o

Here is my only real project... I have more ideas for it, but I don't know how to go about it... 

https://github.com/Lalien/Study_Penguin

Should I pick up a framework or should I master vanilla PHP first? 

Message me sometime and let's get to know each other! I like sports, video games, all sorts of TV shows and all kinds of music.

I'm getting married next year and I want to be a good provider and developer for the love of my life. 

Edited by Lalien

Hey Miles!

IMO, you should learn HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript if it's not already the case. Then, (again IMO), you should try to make a simple app with vanilla PHP. Something like a really basic blog, or something like that. Just to see how everything works. Then, when you feel comfortable, go for a framework. :)

After having a quick look at your code, I say find a framework. Your code isn't great, but you know more than the basics, you just need some steering in the right direction in regards to patterns etc.

A framework will teach you a lot about how to structure things it's way. Once you have mastered doing it there way, you can then start to break out (with the experience you have gained) and do things your way again.

Hey Miles!

IMO, you should learn HTML, CSS and a bit of JavaScript if it's not already the case. Then, (again IMO), you should try to make a simple app with vanilla PHP. Something like a really basic blog, or something like that. Just to see how everything works. Then, when you feel comfortable, go for a framework. :)

Hahaha! I figured that I should start out the hard way before I pick up a framework, but the guy below you said the exact opposite. 

I have a lot of experience with HTML/CSS and a little bit of JavaScript / jQuery. I'm a project manager so I get to get my hands dirty with them once in awhile. But I'll make some stuff so I can see how everything works.

After having a quick look at your code, I say find a framework. Your code isn't great, but you know more than the basics, you just need some steering in the right direction in regards to patterns etc.

A framework will teach you a lot about how to structure things it's way. Once you have mastered doing it there way, you can then start to break out (with the experience you have gained) and do things your way again.

Oh yeah, my code is terrible. I just want to know how everything works so I can get something made. I've played around with CakePHP and the code is absolutely crisp and minimal. It is absolutely amazing. But don't you think I should learn how to do things the hard way before I give myself a crutch? 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.