Problem with name servers on Linux/Debian

KubeR
Go to solution Solved by KubeR,

Hello,

I've installed a Debian x64 minimal package and a control panel on my VPS, but after I install the name servers, the domain doesn't reach my VPS's name servers for some reason.

The minimal package comes only with the tools to run the Debian server which means it had no sudo and such.

But previously when I had Centos on before switching to Debian, it did reach the name servers.

Which in this case I suspect that it's a server-side problem, could there be any ?

When I try to connect to the domain it says that the website is not available.

I am using zpanel and the default DNS records that the zpanel generates.

P.S. I tried to find the reason why it doesn't work but I couldn't find any solution, all I found is suggestions to add www A record which also didn't work.

And yes, I did wait 24 hours and even more.

Does this Debian server is reachable from outside?  I mean, are you able to login using a standard  ip address by ssh or ftp services for instance.

I am using zpanel and the default DNS records that the zpanel generates.

Make sure that the DNS points to the proper IP address given by your host provider.

P.S. I tried to find the reason why it doesn't work but I couldn't find any solution, all I found is suggestions to add www A record which also didn't work.

Have you read up on FAQ given by your hosting main web site?

For troubleshooting DNS the standard commands I'm using are nslookup or dig.

Does this Debian server is reachable from outside?  I mean, are you able to login using a standard  ip address by ssh or ftp services for instance.

Make sure that the DNS points to the proper IP address given by your host provider.

Have you read up on FAQ given by your hosting main web site?

For troubleshooting DNS the standard commands I'm using are nslookup or dig.

Reachable through SSH,points to the proper IP and there is no FAQ as I purchased a VPS and I've changed the OS manually.

As I said, the OS I switched to is very minimal, it almost don't have commands, only the basic for file operation(ls,cd,chmod etc.) and OS startup, else like the standard commands which you posted before it doesn't have.

bash: nslookup: command not found

dig: command not found

This is why I am asking, before, the Centos had all the packages on already installed, but now it doesn't have them (because the new OS is minimal), which in my opinion I am missing those packages which are in charge of the DNS process or relative which because of it, it doesn't work properly.

Hm....most of the cloud server system providing VPS that I know are very easy to get up and require very little experience to get started. I'm also surprised that they aren't provided a dashboard to easy configure and manage your DNS services, to get them working it's not simple as you think. If everything looks fine for you, you should contact them. What's the name of this company?

Edited by jazzman1

I'm not sure I really know what exactly your problem is. Perhaps you could describe it better?

Are you having issues with your VPS resolving domains names, so that if you tried to do something like ping www.google.com it cannot resolve www.google.com to an IP address?

Or are you having issues that others can no longer resolve your domain name to an IP because your name servers can no longer be reached? So someone else doing ping www.yourdomain.com would have troubles?

Hm....most of the cloud server system providing VPS that I know are very easy to get up and require very little experience to get started. I'm also surprised that they aren't provided a dashboard to easy configure and manage your DNS services, to get them working it's not simple as you think. If everything looks fine for you, you should contact them. What's the name of this company?

Well, it's not a cloud server but a basic VPS, it came with a VPS cp to manage the vps - SolusVM

Are you having issues with your VPS resolving domains names, so that if you tried to do something like ping www.google.com it cannot resolve www.google.com to an IP address?

This.

It points to a name server but doesn't return an IP.

Edited by KubeR

A few things to try/check:

• Do you have any firewall enabled that might be blocking DNS requests? Clear your firewall entries and try again.

First, save your current firewall configuration:

iptables-save > firewall_rules

Then clear the entires and reset the defaults to accept:

iptables -P INPUT ACCEPT && iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT && iptables -F
    Then try resolving some domain names again. If it works, you'll need to re-configure the firewall settings to allow DNS traffic.

To restore your saved firewall settings:

iptables-restore < firewall_rules

• Can you ping the IP address of the nameserver(s) you are trying to use?
  • What does your /etc/resolv.conf file look like?
  • Are you allowed to use the nameserver(s) you are trying to use?

Try some public ones like Google public DNS or OpenDNS

Edited by kicken

clearing the firewall settings didn't work.

Can't ping the website it says "Ping request could not find host"

/etc/resolv.conf -

nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 8.8.4.4

They're the default name servers, worked before, so I guess they are.

Edited by KubeR

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Sorry for not answering that long, I solved the problem by adding more IP and attaching each domain to different IP.

Before I tried to refer multiple domains through a single IP to multiple folders.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.