MySQL / PHP set-up

phppup
Go to solution Solved by phppup,

I got a new laptop running Windows 7 and wanted to develop some PHP coding for test purposes.

I want the data I test to go into MySQL.

What do I need to do and where can I get the appropriate downloads to get started with the most basic of set-ups?

It's relatively simple with wamp. I am very much a noob myself and I haven't had a problem with wamp and phpmyadmin. You will go into phpmyadmin through wamp. Make sure wamp is online; aka wamp's W logo is green (not orange or red). Right click the logo, click on phpmyadmin ( right below localhost option).

Important: phpmyadmin prompts you for username and password.

-u root -p

The notation means username is root and password is left blank. Hit go.

Let me re-phrase:  I want to be able to test code and forms on my laptop WITHOUT using an internet connection.

No cable.  No WiFi.  No connectivity.

Just me, the laptop, and the code.

Is there a simple process so that I can I install PHP and MySQL for this purpose?

Trying to get WAMP working.

Apparently there are some Microsoft updates required.

What is the difference between WAMP and XAMPP?

Am I right in saying that XAMPP is more advanced?  Has more user options?

Thanks for the help.

They are both the same really. The difference is with the bundled software/user interface which adds no real benefit for developement. They just provide an easy to install all-in-one package for setting up the AMP stack required for developing/testing PHP code locally on your PC.

Just chose the one you find easiest to use. Personally I prefer to install the AMP stack manually rather than use an all-in-one package.

Trying to get WAMP working.

Apparently there are some Microsoft updates required.

Everything you need should come with the wamp installation package. Not sure what you mean by that... Updates reported by Windows Update has nothing to do with WAMP.

Not everything is included.  I found a thread on WAMP that guided me to 4 updates to resolve an MSVCR110.DLL error.

Meanwhile, I think I finally got it loaded, but nothing occurs when I hit the WAMP desktop icon (except a message asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer).

What should my next steps be to validate the install and utilize the download?

I found a thread on WAMP that guided me to 4 updates to resolve an MSVCR110.DLL error.

I would of thought WAMP shipped with that. If you want to know what it is the VC11 runtime environment.

Meanwhile, I think I finally got it loaded, but nothing occurs when I hit the WAMP desktop icon (except a message asking if I want to allow the program to make changes to my computer)

That will be firewall dialog box. Click allow (should only need it do it once). You need to accept it otherwise Apache will not work.

What should my next steps be to validate the install and utilize the download?

Go to http://localhost and you should get the WAMP project index page. That will verify the installation was a success. Also there should be a WAMP icon in taskbar next to the clock, it should be green if all wamp components are running.

Edited by Ch0cu3r

There's NO icon on the taskbar, but there is one with the "USB removal" button etc.

Tried opening the index page from the WWW folder, but it didn't display properly.  It simply showed all the PHP coding, but did NOT translate it into functional end-product.  My assumption is that something is missing, but not sure what or where.

Do I need to have an internet connection at that point?

Nope you can be offline. http://localhost has nothing to do with the internet.

When you go to http://localhost it will send a http request to port 80 on our computer. This is the port the Apache http server listens on for serving files.

There's NO icon on the taskbar

Sounds like WAMP is not running. If you have installed WAMP it should already by running. If not then I think you can goto Start > WAMP > Wampserver to get it running. The taskbar icon should then appear.

If you're having problems starting WAMP then I recommend to get help from their official forum. 

Tried opening the index page from the WWW folder, but it didn't display properly.  It simply showed all the PHP coding, but did NOT translate it into functional end-product.  My assumption is that something is missing, but not sure what or where.

That is not how you run php files. As I said you need to go to http://localhost in order run PHP code. You only open PHP files in the WWW folder if you are going to edit the code in your code editor.

• Solution

Thanks for you patience.  I was playing around last night and EUREKA! I think I've got it.

It's been a while since I worked on my PHP but I certainly managed to get something flowing through my browser.

Now the next step, setting up MySQL.

I generally view stored data through a "dashboard" that offers options and an Excel-styled view.  Does this option exist in WAMP?

I have a suspicion that it will only be generated if I create code for it.

Is there a way to view the stored data without creating code for a table?

Thanks for the help.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.