trouble including html using PHP

LukePVB

I'm having trouble including my navigation bar in my web pages using PHP.

This is the script i have included in my web page, but it's not working.

<?php include("navbar.php");
navBar();
?>

This is the script in navbar.php enclosing my navigation bar.

<? function navBar() { ?>

NAVIGATION BAR

<? } ?>

Help is appreciated.

You did everything right.
Are the files in the same folder?

- navbar.php
- main.php

Do you have some JS or jQuery (or CSS) code included that wold alter the behavior of the navbar?
Instead of navbar code can you put just:

<? function navBar() { ?>
<p>Test code</p>
<? } ?>
Edited by Cornelius

what do you see in your browser when you do a 'view source' of the resulting page?

if you see the actual contents of the navbar.php file, i.e. the php function definition, the problem is the use of short opening <? tags. you should always use full opening <?php tags.

instead of putting html in a function how bout just take all php out and just leave the html. unless, there other reasons or other things u want to do with navbar, such having more functions.

I want to build my site using this PHP script so when i want to add more links to the navigation bar on all pages, I can by only changing one page.

what do you see in your browser when you do a 'view source' of the resulting page?

if you see the actual contents of the navbar.php file, i.e. the php function definition, the problem is the use of short opening <? tags. you should always use full opening <?php tags.

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">

<link href="css/main.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>

<body>
<div id="container">

<header>

I use was trying to use the same script to load my header.That script seem to be stopping the rest of the HTML from loading. 

The script I was using to load my header is the following

<?php include("header.php");
echo $header;
?>

you are likely getting a fatal parse or runtime error in the code in your included file.

you NEED to have php's error_reporting set to E_ALL and display_errors set to ON in your php.ini on your development system so that php will HELP you by reporting and displaying the errors it detects.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.