Summer running site - Dodgy links maybe?

ericburnard

Hi there.

I have just made a quick site over the past 2 days to help keep people up to date with my charity runs. Its not supposed to be anything flash or snazzy just a tool to help connect to people.

Let me know what you think or if anyone finds any problems in any browsers.

One thing problem that has arisen just now is that the links seem to work then not and then work again its very random. Let me know if anyone else has this problem.

www.summer-running.com

Thanks again

Eric

The site doesn't look all that bad really.  The counter is pushed way to low though, it's bottom is hidden behind the footer when scrolled all the way to the top, it should be centered better.  You don't have a doctype in the source code.  That can really mess with things on different browsers.  You also have some invalid html throught the page which can also do weird things.  Plus you need to stop using the <center> and put stuff like that in the css file.  I didn't experience any issue with links but you weren't real specific as to which links were having issues.  Fix the html and doctype and go from there.

The site doesn't look all that bad really.  The counter is pushed way to low though, it's bottom is hidden behind the footer when scrolled all the way to the top, it should be centered better.  You don't have a doctype in the source code.  That can really mess with things on different browsers.  You also have some invalid html throught the page which can also do weird things.  Plus you need to stop using the <center> and put stuff like that in the css file.  I didn't experience any issue with links but you weren't real specific as to which links were having issues.  Fix the html and doctype and go from there.

Thanks for the advice. The <center> tag is and old bad habit that i just end up doing, especially when i have them in my css as well! I was struggling to center the countdown box vertically the other day, and obviously it didn't work properly.

I will do some work tonight and add the doctype tonight and fixed the center tags.

Thanks

For me, on my screen, it is like an illusion that there is no content, because the footer is at the bottom of the page, and because of the fixed positioning.

Using FF (latest version) on Windows 7, the text "days" and "hours" appears floating in the middle of the days and hours show, making it appear as a rendering issue. You might want to confirm that this looks the way you intend.

Browsing to the non-www version of your domain does not redirect to the www version. Consider duplicate content.

I was never crazy about hash tags, all the content is at one page and scrolls.

Nothing can be bookmarked, is bad seo, if your site grows can become quite a large page...consider sections and separate pages

Using the non www address when clicking gallery it redirected me to the www domain and had to click gallery once again.

Really is no longer a need for www, redirect all www to non www.

Set an Cname record your domain registrar

www points to ip or domain

Or you can add a rule in htaccess providing mod_rewrite is enabled

Options +FollowSymlinks
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.summer\-running\.com [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*) http://summer-running.com/$1 [L,R=301]

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.