.htaccess/.htpasswd help needed

sambib

I've created a .htaccess file:

AuthName "Realm Name"

AuthType Basic

AuthUserFile D:/Apache/private/.htpasswd (also used this without the drive letter D:)

Order allow,deny

Allow From All

<Files les_mis_test.php> (also tried protecting the whole directory and not the individual file)

require valid-user

</Files>

I've created the .htpasswd file and put it into the specified directory

and here is the entry in my httpd.conf file:

<Directory "D:/Apache/htdocs/name_of_site_root_directory">

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride All (also trid with AuthConfig)

Order allow,deny

Allow from all

</Directory>

When I try to access that file (les_mis_test.php) I get the dialogue box for the user name and password but then all I get is a 'blank' page (no code) though with the correct URL in the address bar.

I've installed apache 2 on my C: with all conf files etc there (windows xp) and I've got the data (htdocs) on my D: drive if that helps anyone suss out my errors...

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHY I'M GETTING A BLANK PAGE RATHER THAN THE PAGE VIEWING NORMALLY. IS THIS A CONFIG ERROR WITH THE HTTPD.CONF OR DOES IT INDICATE AN ERROR ELSEWHERE.......?

VERY FRUSTRATED WITH THIS AND SPENT A LOT OF TIME RESEARCHING THIS PROBLEM WITH NO LUCK YET..........!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.