Capitalize and remove spaces after form submission

Stefan83

Hi - I'm using Wordpress gravity forms plugin. I'd like to force capitalise and remove the spaces within a specific field. This is what I have but its not working.  $_POST[$each] = strtoupper(rgpost($each)) works for making the characters capitals but adding && str_replace(' ', '', $each) after doens't work. What am I doing wrong? Thanks

add_action('gform_pre_submission_22', 'capitalize_fields');
function capitalize_fields($form){

$fields_to_cap = array(
                     'input_64'
										);
        foreach ($fields_to_cap as $each) {

$_POST[$each] = strtoupper(rgpost($each)) && str_replace(' ', '', $each);
				        }

return $form;
} ?>

'&&' is a logical operator - it doesn't work the way you're trying to use it. Check http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.logical.php for more details. In the meantime, try

foreach($fields_to_cap as $field){
    $cap_fields[] = strtoupper(str_replace(' ','',rgpost($each)));
}

I'm assuming rgpost() is a custom function that should be called on the raw data?

For the uppercase, there is also array_change_key_case. Of course, if you need to also remove the spaces, you'll have to use another function.

There is also array_map

So you could code something like this:

function cap_field($field_to_cap) {
  $rgpost_field = rgpost($field_to_cap); // no idea what rgpost does
  $space_removed = trim($rgpost_field); // use trim() if you want to remove only the spaces at the beginning and end of the field.
  $uppercase = strtoupper($space_removed);
  return $uppercase;
}

$cap_fields = array_map("cap_field", $fields_to_cap);
Instead of the 4 lines there, you could use the line maxxd wrote to you: strtoupper(str_replace(' ','',rgpost($each)));
But, it'll be easier to debug for you. This way, you can var_dump one line after the other. If it works, change it with maxxd's line.

I was going to post almost the exact same thing as mogosselin, but he beat me to it. Using array_map() with a separate function allows you to decouple the manipulation of the input from the processing of the input. Plus, this is a personal preference, I would put each step of the string manipulation on a separate line instead of one line. Makes it easier to "see" what is going on when you have to debug issues later.

Then again, since rpost is a custom function, you could potentially update that to do the additional work and call it using array_map().

FYI: The fact that no one has a clue what rgpost() does is a good indication that it is not well named. Don't be afraid of a long name if it helps to identify it's purpose and/or what it does.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.