Is CakePHP 3.0 ready for use?

CrimpJiggler

CakePHP and Codeigniter served a purpose in their day. With that said I'm not a proponent of using really old frameworks like these, when there are plenty of modern alternatives out there. With all due respect to cakephp, 3.0 sets a low bar when frameworks like symfony2 have been doing all the things that 3.0 is "Trying" to do, for years now. Cake had its day, but time has passed it by. I would think that most cakephp development these days is done by people supporting older projects, and someone doing a new project in any version of cake, not to mention one that is based on an alpha framework release, is completely insane.

Some good relevant ones worth looking at:

symfony2

laravel

zend framework 2

There are also so-called micro frameworks like silex and slim that might work for you.

Personally, I think your investment in learning how to be productive with a framework is substantial and you are best off choosing one that has a substantial user base, a vibrant active community and good documentation.

You have to investigate all these to get an idea of what makes sense for you.

• 2 months later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.