Why might this addtional XML code stop page from loading?

hexcode

<?xml-stylesheet href="/player.xsl" type="text/xsl"?>

<config>
  <auto_start>false</auto_start>
  <player_skin>/test.swf</player_skin>
  <main_title>Test</main_title>
  <playlist_title>PLAYLIST</playlist_title>
  <time_text>TOTAL TIME</time_text>
  <pan_labels>L,R</pan_labels>
  <scroller_speed>1</scroller_speed>	
  <scroller_marquee_content>#TRACK_NAME#</scroller_marquee_content>
  <repeat_is_enabled>false</repeat_is_enabled>
  <shuffle_is_enabled>false</shuffle_is_enabled>
  <default_volume>75</default_volume>
  <default_pan>0</default_pan>
	<play_list>
		<item>test.mp3;Test Soundtrack</item>
	</play_list>
</config>

Hi,

The above code is from an XML file and I added the <?xml line of code to the XML file, but doing so causes the whole page to no longer display the track information (just blank).

Is there there a way I could modify that text to try and call it another way?

Thanks

Edited by hexcode

Looking at your other thread, this XML is going to a Flash player right? So what "page" is going blank?

Is it the page where you try to load this XML in your browser directly? Do you, in fact, have a /player.xsl that will transform the XML into something readable?

Edited by requinix

Hi,

Yes, it is. Just the music player's playlist is blank (which mean the XML file is not loading) when I add the additional <?xml tag to the top.

The purpose of the .xsl tag is to now allow the xml page to be viewable if you use its url address.

Part of the XSL file has: <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0; url=http://www.mywebsite.com/"></meta>

Then it seems like the player doesn't like the

I'd say leave it out. Really, what's the harm in people looking at the XML? It's not like you can hide it from them anyways, and neither are you linking to it for a person to check...

So I found the player and had it decompiled. The part where it deals with the config XML looks like

if (_root.xml != undefined) {
	_xml.load(_root.xml);
} else {
	_xml.load("config.xml");
}
_xml.onload = function (success) {
	var _local3 = 0;
	while (_local3 < this.firstchild.childnodes.length) {
		if (this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].nodetype == 1) {
			if (this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].nodename != "play_list") {
				o[this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].nodename] = this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].firstchild.nodevalue;
			} else {
				o[this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].nodename] = new array();
				var _local4 = 0;
				while (_local4 < this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].childnodes.length) {
					if (this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].childnodes[_local4].nodetype == 1) {
						o[this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].nodename].push(this.firstchild.childnodes[_local3].childnodes[_local4].firstchild.nodevalue);
					}
					_local4++;
				}
			}
		}
		_local3++;
	}
The part where it deals with "this.firstchild" is where it fails: by inserting the processing block, the first child is no longer the and the code starts to fall apart.

tl;dr: the player reads the XML poorly.

Thank you for finding the reason out. Kind of had a feeling that line was causing the rest of the config.xml file to not load.

Just wondering, are you experienced with Flash coding/modifying? There are three of four changes I need done to the player to make it work for me.

I wanted to know if you could or would be interested in help me making them (although I'm very basic with flash) or might consider looking into making them (I have all the raw files I could send you)?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.