Is a framework really needed?

w1zzerd

I know this question sounds a bit vague. I have not been working with php too long, maybe 6 months or so. I have worked with other programming languages and do have a good grasp of OOP. I have a few ideas for some apps I want to make, nothing that will be the next commercial hit. I just to do some php apps to get better at php. Everywhere I look some one is talking about a framework, and it looks like Codeigniter seems to be everyones fave, despite the fact that there is a good chance it will die out soon. I ended up giving Codeigniter a try and although I understand MVC, and I get OOP, and all of that, it seems there are many ways to set things up and a lot of the tutorials I tried out had different ways to do things withing Codeigniter, the problem with that is some of the stuff I learned on tutorials I could not get to work on my set up. I got frustrated and simply gave up after a while of tinkering with CI. I know there are plenty other frameworks, but I am wondering if I will truly be at a disadvantage if I just write core php with out using a framework.

Thanks if advance for the input.

I don't think you have to use a framework, but many times a framework is going to make something easier for you, or take care of security issues (or other issues) that you didn't realize were issues.

I think you should drop CodeIgniter and use Symfony, Laravel, Yii, or almost anything else. CodeIgniter may not be officially dead, but its ways are not the ways of modern PHP development. You want to learn something that is worth your time, not something that is mocked and teach you the wrong way.

Yea it is a small world huh. I have experience with C++, Python, C, C#, Java, Lua, I have made a few apps that are published in the android play store, nothing big though. How about you? I would say right now my strengths are Javascript, C#, and PHP. But I still dabble with android programming and game development here and there.

Well, I'm a self taught web dev / designer. I own a sewing machine business, which is just South of Old Town Temecula. I got into dev and design because of the business, but found that I enjoy the work, and have been making other people websites for approximately 7 or 8 years. I'm pretty much all PHP, MySQL, and JavaScript. I've dabbled with Python, Ruby, Visual Basic, C++, but have never really done anything with them. Besides my regular lineup of customers, I've started making free websites for Christian churches. So yes, I stay really busy!

• 1 month later...

That's awesome! I am starting to get a bit busy, I picked up a part time job working as a php Q/A developer for a local company in Corona, and I have a few side jobs. Pretty excited about that. Do you sell fabrics and and sewing hardware in your shop? My wife is really into sewing and we are always looking for good spots to buy supplies. 

That's awesome! I am starting to get a bit busy, I picked up a part time job working as a php Q/A developer for a local company in Corona, and I have a few side jobs. Pretty excited about that. Do you sell fabrics and and sewing hardware in your shop? My wife is really into sewing and we are always looking for good spots to buy supplies. 

Yes, we sell some fabric, machines, notions, and do sewing machine service for many brands.  My mom teaches some classes. I'm not there all the time, so if you'd like to meet, let me know.

Even if I need to do a "Hello world" app I choose to use a framework. Is best thing you can do.

Really? I've got to ask you, how much PHP experience did you have before you started using frameworks? There are times when a framework is absolutely overkill. There are times when I use a framework, yet still have some standalone scripts that do simple tasks outside the framework.

Really? I've got to ask you, how much PHP experience did you have before you started using frameworks? There are times when a framework is absolutely overkill. There are times when I use a framework, yet still have some standalone scripts that do simple tasks outside the framework.

About 2 years. Before I used a framework I created my own framework(good learning experience). Every website need a router and frameworks have very powerful routers.

laravel new my-simple-app
Edited by Ionut-Bajescu

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.