Ranting on GoDaddy.

njdubois

I'm so angry right now.  Just want to vent a little.

Godaddy sucks.  They are currently taking an blow torch to their servers, or them damn gremlins.  Our shared host cpanel server is on for a few seconds then down again.  If it is up, it can't connect to mysql.  Then it works, then back.  Why? oh ohhh ohhhh!  Cause yesterday, from 7pm to this morning, 5 am they did what ever it is those nuts do and well now my client, our customers and I can't use the site.  YAY!

No idea when it will be back.  Work to do.  But...why would that piss me off so much?  That's not it!!

The day before yesterday, which would be Tuesday they had already started screwing things up.  What ever they did caused the sql settings in my php.ini file to no longer mesh with the server.  SO, I get the call from client and employees, "it's not working."  Can't get to mysql.  Call GoDaddy, they disable my php.ini and the timezone for the server changed and some odd hours later employees where calling me saying the data changed early.

72 hours, roughly of on edge, what's going to be next from GoDaddy.

This is just the past few days!

The 2 weeks before that I was trying to get a asp.net c# MVC application to run on another of their servers.  Nope.  Ended up getting a new host.  2 weeks!!  Those 2 weeks were filled with godaddy saying "Everything is ok on our end.. something is wrong with your code."  Upload the code to new server and it just worked.  Hum?

Over the past 6+ years I have had nothing but head aches dealing with godaddy.  Their normal solution is found in the next pay package, or it isn't their problem in the first place.

We had issues sending emails out from PHP.  This was a big one.  5+ years of dealing with it.  Sometimes they got the email, sometimes they didn't.  Looked around the net, use a php mailer plug in.  Same problem.  Tweaked sent froms and return's to.  Same thing.  Years of godaddy saying they are setup right.  Guess what!  Nope!  Found out they had a setting hidden deep in the horrid control panels that tweaked something I don't even know what and that seemed like a fix.  Nope.  So we start doing an in depth look at our server reputation and logging the ip's emails came from.  Testing those IP's to see if they were black listed showed us that yes some of them were black listed.  We send maybe 25 emails out a month?  All legit, clean.  But shared server so, someone did it.  GoDaddy said there was nothing they could or would do about it.  That's right!  Their server's were blacklisted, shucks!

My last 2 clients on godaddy are making the switch.  Soon I will be godaddy free and will strongly recommend new clients away.

Sorry that this was a big long BLAH of garbage.  Thank you for listening.  I feel better now.

Oh yes I can concur that GoCrappy is worthless and their servers are not worth the money.  I got rid of them about 4 years ago and have been so glad I did.  Yes the email thing can be so frustrating and no one really seems to understand that most of it relates back to the server it self and how things are setup.

Yeah, your worst decision ever was to host your site on GoDaddy.  The company wasn't meant to be a web host provider, it was made to be a registrar, which, IMO, they do just as good a job as any other registrar does.  It's not like you can make a domain faster, all you do is set your nameservers and forget about GoDaddy until it's bill time, or you switched hosts.

• 3 weeks later...

The best thing about Godaddy is their refund for unused service. It makes it easy to quit. They do suck. I once proved to them that their servers were modifiying my headers (basically dropping custom headers), and they said they wouldn't do anything about it. In their words, they don't do anything special for customers. Either you like it or leave. So I left. That was years ago. I'm sure the same philosophy exists today.

Edited by sKunKbad

• 1 month later...

Tbh iv'e never had any issues with Godaddy at all, i think your just incapable of managing your own website.

If you don't like basic webhosting then maybe you should get a VPS. Their job is only to make sure your SERVER is running not your WEBSITE.

There's a difference between Godaddy basic hosting and most other host's basic hosting. You say that you've never had any issues with their basic hosting, and that just indicates that you haven't tried anything custom enough to notice. Suggesting that people are incapable of managing a website because they have problems with Godaddy is naive. Their hosting is so proprietary in nature, and their customer support is simply a denial that something is wrong on their end (it's always your fault). I can't even name how many hosts I've worked with over the years, and with the exception of one, Godaddy is the worst. That's just my opinion, but I believe if you spend some time searching for complaints online, you'll find more than you can read.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.