PHP7 - Confirmed

OmegaExtern

Hello ;D

I've heard new PHP version (7) is on its way. Since I didn't found any thread laying around already. I guess, lets discuss it. :happy-04:

Estimated remaining time until early alpha is around a year. And stable release is expected to be in 2016/2017.

Edited by OmegaExtern

Seemed to me that the #1 reason they (the PHP devs) named the next version now (was a very heated debate of 6 vs 7) was so that they could stop referring to it as "PHP.next" and "PHP 6/7" and finally settle the issue.

On a related note, phpng has a week of voting left but looks like it'll form the basis for PHP 7. Can't remember if they were going to rename it as "Zend Engine 3".

What is new?

What's new is a bunch of experiments with the inner workings of PHP. If you're a hardcore PHP fan who specializes in low-level language design, that might actually be interesting, but I think the majority of PHP programmers neither understands nor cares about the details (especially not at this early stage).

There are no spectacular new features to talk about, so what's the point of this discussion? Do you want to dive into abstract syntax trees and just-in-time compilers?

There are no spectacular new features to talk about, so what's the point of this discussion?

Yes. Let's stifle this discussion right now because there is nothing earth-shattering to speak of. There is no point to talking about this because Jacques is not interested and he is a representative sample of a good 95% of the community. Honestly, only nerds care about things like ASTs and there are no nerds on this site.

What we should be talking about instead is how everybody in the world is using horribly insecure password practices. That doesn't get enough attention around here.

• Like 2

A little bitchy, are we? ;)

By all means, I didn't want to hamper the hardcore comp-sci nerd discussion you appearently were about to unleash. Let's dive into the fascinating world of ASTs. I'm listening (seriously).

Until now, all you had to say about PHP 7 is that people argued about the name. That doesn't exactly qualify as a deep scientific insight, does it?

• 3 weeks later...

Yep, that is exactly my job. Or was, so take it for what it's worth. But I know exactly what I'm talking about when I'm pointing out that same behavior in you. You're a really smart guy and bring a lot of good knowledge and best practices to the table. But that's not a free pass to be an asshat to people. "Dr. House" types generally don't stick around and make real friends, despite what the TV shows portray. If you want to be more welcomed in the community, phase out the "you suck" vibe. You seem to have no issues being public about that, so I have no issues being public with this.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.