Official removal version for mysql_* functions?

maxxd

Hey all.

Obviously, the mysql_* functions are deprecated and have been for quite some time now, and will be removed soon. As of 5.5, using them should result in an E_DEPRECATED error, so it looks like we're getting closer to that happening. My question is - has anybody read or heard a reliable statement as to which future version will officially remove even legacy support for the functions? Like 5.x, 7.0, etc?

A Google search isn't returning anything official so far as I can see, and I was curious.

I don't think they have officially announced when it is going to happen. For now it is available to use but will issue an E_DEPRECATED error when you use it. This is to discourage anyone from using it. 

If you are starting a new project today there should be no reason not to use MySQLi or PDO. If you have an existing project then you should start to consider upgrading your code to use either of those APIs now. There is not point in holding out waiting for the official announcement to come.

If the application still uses the old mysql_* functions, I'm sure there are other problems as well. What about SQL injection vulnerabilities?

I think a demonstrated attack is more impressive than telling people that the MySQL extension will be removed in 20 years. If people cared about that, they would already have switched to PDO a long time ago.

I think a demonstrated attack is more impressive than telling people that the MySQL extension will be removed in 20 years. If people cared about that, they would already have switched to PDO a long time ago.

well, unfortunately it's true :-\

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.