Passing a php variable into JSP function

mantsali
Go to solution Solved by Jacques1,

Help I am trying to pass a php variable into a javasript function. Here is my code.

<a href="<?php echo $row['track']; ?>" download="<?php echo $row['track']; ?>" onclick="myhit(<?php echo $row['track']; ?>)">Download</a>

<script>
function myhit(top){
alert(top);

}
</script>

the javascript function is never called

Because you need to wrap the value you are passing to the  myhit( ) JavaScript function in quotes. 

...onclick="myhit('<?php echo $row['track']; ?>')"

Do note that PHP code and javascript code are not ran at the same time. They are completely different languages. PHP is server side and Javascript is client side.

• Solution

You can't just drop a PHP value into a JavaScript context. Depending content of the variable, this either results in a bug or even a major security vulnerability.

Adding quotes also misses the point: Maybe you no longer see the problem, but of course it's still there.

You must escape the value and put it into a standard HTML context. You can use a data attribute, for example. Then fetch the track from this attribute:

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <title>Passing PHP values to JavaScript</title>
        <script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-1.11.1.min.js"></script>
        <script>
            $(function () {
                $('#track-link').click(function () {
                    alert('This is the track: ' + $(this).data('track'));
                });
            });
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <a id="track-link" href="#" data-track="http://example.com/some.track">Download</a>
    </body>
</html>

Do not forget the escaping!

Safely inserting a value into a href attribute is even harder, but I guess that's another story.

Did you try this exact code? Then the function is definitely called – unless you've played with your browser settings and turned off JavaScript or something.

So the actual question is: What did you do to break the code? Since I'm not psychic, I cannot answer this until you actually post your script. If possible, create a minimal example which we can try out. Then we don't have to speculate about possible problems.

It's also a good idea to check for error messages in the JavaScript console of your browser. You usually have to hit F12 to open the developer tools and then go to the JavaScript tab.

// I realized that I only gave you the resulting HTML markup. The underlying PHP script is this:

<?php

$row['track'] = 'http://example.com/some.track';

?>
<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html lang="en">
    <head>
        <meta charset="utf-8">
        <title>Passing PHP values to JavaScript</title>
        <script>
            $(function () {
                });
            });
        </script>
    </head>
    <body>
        <a id="track-link" href="#" data-track="<?= htmlspecialchars($row['track'], ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8') ?>">Download</a>
    </body>
</html>
Edited by Jacques1

this is what my link looks like

<a id="track-link" href="<?php echo $row['trackLoc']; ?>" download="<?php echo $row['trackLoc']; ?>" data-track="<?= htmlspecialchars($row['trackLoc'], ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8') ?>">Download</a>

the track does download but thats all that happens

escape all values? but thats the part that is working, here is the sample code ive been working with

<!DOCTYPE HTML>
<html>
<head>

<script>
$(function () {
					alert('holla');
                });
            });
</script>

</head>
<body>

<?php
 $con=mysqli_connect("localhost","root","","mnjush");
 $result = mysqli_query($con,"SELECT * FROM music");
 while($row = mysqli_fetch_array($result)) {
  echo $row['artist'] ;

?>

<a id="track-link" href="<?php echo $row['trackLoc']; ?>" download="<?php echo $row['trackLoc']; ?>" 
data-track="<?= htmlspecialchars($row['trackLoc'], ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8') ?>">Download</a>
<?php
  echo "<br>";
  }

mysqli_close($con);

?>
</body>
</html>

You skipped the external jQuery script I posted above, but that's actually important:

This goes into the head element before the other script. Of course you're free to use plain JavaScript instead.

You also can't have multiple elements with the same ID. Use a class.

escape all values? but thats the part that is working

Then you have a strange definition of “working”.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.