Need to grab value from array output

n1concepts
Go to solution Solved by Jacques1,

Hi,I

I'm trying to setup Paypal Pro on a website - have everything working - but need to grab the 4th & 6th key values from the results given from the Paypal response and having difficulty with the task.

See the code that prints the response and the response sent from Paypal below - I need to grab the values for  [TRXRESULT] and [TRXRESPMSG]

echo('<pre>');
print_r($PayFlow->getResponse());
echo('</pre>');

and here's the response I get from Paypal on script execution - this is an example of a failed transaction:

Paypal Response

Array
(
    [RESULT] => 36
    [RPREF] => RPC5B24581A2
    [RESPMSG] => Transaction failed: Fail to obtain approval for the online transaction
    [TRXRESULT] => 23
    [TRXPNREF] => EUJPC36F2092
    [TRXRESPMSG] => Invalid account number: Unsupported Credit Card type
)

Again, I want to grab the values from [TRXRESULT] and [TRXRESPMSG] and assign them to local variables so i can work with them within the local php script.

Example: $trxresult  and $trxrespmsg

Here's part of the class (file name is Class.Payflow.php find on Github) that pertains to this snippet of code in question:

Class.Payflow.php

/**
   * @uses      Gets the response from Paypal.
   * @access    Public
   * @param     None.
   * @return    Array/String - Returns an array of Paypal's response or empty string if not return.
   * @example   $PayFlow->getResponse();
   */
  public function getResponse() {
    if($this->response) {
      return $this->response;
    }
    else {
      return '';
    }
  }

Thanks in advance for help w/this one!

• Solution

So you're asking how to access an element of an associative array?

$paypal_response = $PayFlow->getResponse();

var_dump($paypal_response['TRXRESULT']);

If you're just confused because of the bracket syntax, use var_dump() instead of print_r().

There's actually no need to put all elements into separate variables. The values in the array are just as good as any other value.

• Like 1

Hi,

This works great and exactly what i need to get the data I want - specifically.

However, I'm having trouble assigning those var_dumps to local variables - see example below which yields nothing:

$var1 = var_dump($paypal_response['TRXRESULT']);
echo $var1;    // doesn't produce any value for $var1

I need to assign the results to variables so i can work with them to insert / update MySQL database.

I tried var_export and other methods but unable to get the results/value(s) assigned as with this example.

Thx for help - really appreciated!

Edited by n1concepts

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.