phpmyadmin on localhost - blank page

TheOneTrueVlad

I have pretty much the same problem.

I am just starting without any previous experience with xampp, php or MySQL, I have been coding in C for a few years and have used Java before.

Just wanted to play with a local website design using a Joomla template as my method for learning php etc.

I installed XAMPP 1.8.3 and then a Joomla template into htdocs.

Xampp runs fine and I have localhost and other pages without issue.

localhost/myphpadmin is blank.

I have not yet created a DB as I cannot access myphpadmin and have no code yet either.

The error reporting is set as you suggest but no errors are reported.

For error_reporting I used a - 1, phpinfo shows it as 22527 while display_error is On

The source for the phpmyadmin is blank but using FF dev tools the error console shows:

Error: The character encoding of the HTML document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the page must be declared in the document or in the transfer protocol.
Source File: http://localhost/phpmyadmin/

Also tried with Opera and IE

I have installed Xampp on a USB drive labelled as V: as my SS C: drive has limited space.

I installed the Java SDK as well (Version 8 update 20 build 1.8.0_20-b26

php is reported as 5.5.15 in xampp.

This all happened straight from install, so no editing of files by me. All I have edited since is the error entries in php.ini

Additionally:

Using Win 7

In xampp control panel, mysql and apache modules are both green after being started.

localhost status page says mysql database deactivated.

on the security page it states the mysql server is not running or is blocked by firewall (i have tried with firewall disabled without effect).

Tried a different port, no effect

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.