data is 0?

samoht

hello all, 

I am trying to use ajax, to filter my custom post_type using a dropdown (several actually, but just working on one now). 

when I check the console.log for my two variables the log returns the values that I need to pass into my function check_ajax() I am using to do the filtering, but when I check the log for the data array it comes up with 0?

Here is my Jquery code:

//Listen for the menu's to change except the main filter_by dropdown
	var ids = ['filter_preacher_dropdown', 'filter_sort_by_dropdown', 'filter_per_page_dropdown', 
	'filter_series_dropdown', 'filter_tag_dropdown', 'filter_book_dropdown', 'filter_year_dropdown'];

$('#' + ids.join(',#')).change(function() {

var sermonForm = $("#sermon_filter_form");

var myForm = $(this).closest("form");
			var meta_key = this.name; 
		    var meta_value = $(this).val();
		    var current_selection = $(this);
		    var ajaxLoader = '<div class="loading_img"></div>';
		    $(this).after(ajaxLoader);
		    $.ajax
		    (
		        {
		        	type: "POST",
		            url: ajax_object.ajax_url,     
		            data: {
				        'action': 'filter_sermons',
				        'meta_key': meta_key,
				        'meta_value': meta_value,
				    },
					dataType: 'JSON',
					success:function(data){

console.log(data);
					}

}
		    ); 

});

and here is my function.php code:

//ajax for sermons filter
	add_action('wp_ajax_filter_sermons', 'check_ajax'); 
	add_action('wp_ajax_nopriv_filter_sermons', 'check_ajax');
}
/**
* Sets up custom query for AJAX to filter
*/
function my_sermon_query($meta_key, $meta_value) {
  return new WP_Query( array( 'meta_key' => $meta_key, 'meta_value' => $meta_value, 'post_type' => 'mbsb_sermon' ) );
}

function check_ajax() {
	$mk = intval($_POST['meta_key']);
	$mv = intval($_POST['meta_value']);
	$query = my_sermon_query($mk, $mv);
	echo json_encode($query);
    die();
}

Any ideas what I am missing/doing wrong?

Thanks,

Thanks Guru,

But if I use 'results' I either get undefined - or I get 0 again??

action: 'filter_sermons',
		meta_key: mk,
		meta_value: mv
	},
        success:function(data){
		console.log(results);
	}	

Gets me an Uncaught ReferenceError: results is not defined 

and

action: 'filter_sermons',
		meta_key: mk,
		meta_value: mv
	},
	success:function(results){
		console.log(results);
	}

gets me a 0 

??

CroNix is referring to your PHP code. On line 48 of functions.php you are calling the my_sermon_query() function. This function only returns a resultset (object) not the posts themselves.

According to the Wordpress docs on the WP_Query() function you can use get_posts() to get the posts returned by the query. Example

$query = my_sermon_query($mk, $mv);  // perform query
        $posts = get_posts();                // returns posts in an array
	echo json_encode($posts);            // json encode the posts array

OK, thanks for the help understanding but I am not quite there. 

So the AJAX is ok?  ( I changed the php function as noted but I still get 0 on the console log )

If so does that mean I just need to call the function from my page as the main query? 

$query = check_ajax();
				?>

<?php while ( $query->have_posts() ) : $query->the_post(); ?>

that doesn't seem right, because I have no default posts until the filter by 

or do I put the while loop for the posts in the check_ajax() function? 

I slightly rewrote the ajax and now I do get a return on the console

$.ajax
		(
			{
				type: "POST",
				url: ajax_object.ajaxurl,       
				data: {action: 'filter_sermons', meta_key: mk, meta_value: mv, post_per_page: ppp},
				success: function(data){
					console.log(data);
				}
			}
		);

but still nothing is happening on the page? 

Still no page change? 

Do I have to use my_sermon_query() on the main page? or does check_ajax() take care of that? 

I think I am missing only a small piece - but its still stopping the works. 

I have a main page (small-sermons.php) that queries the WPDB for all posts with the custom post_type=mbsb_sermon

On that page I have included a form that allows the users to filter/search based on series, preacher, service  - which are all custom post_types themselves. 

So I have a JQuery/Ajax call (frontend.js) that fires when those dropdowns change so I can handle resetting the query with the new parameters by sending the results to a custom function (functions.php) check_ajax(). 

I seem to be getting the right variables in the $_POST object to create the proper query for the search - but its not updating the page with the new query??

I realized that I had the check_ajax() function in the wrong place. So I moved it and the calls to it, and now I have the AJAX working (I think) - but the problem is what I am returning.

function check_ajax() {
	$mk = '"'.$_POST['meta_key'].'"';
	$mv = intval($_POST['meta_value']);
	$ppp = intval($_POST['posts_per_page']);
	$query = new WP_Query( array( 'meta_key' => $mk, 'meta_value' => $mv, 'post_type' => 'mbsb_sermon', 'posts_per_page' => $ppp ) );
    $posts = get_posts();                		// returns posts in an array
    echo json_encode($posts);
	die();
}

returns [] 

while 

echo json_encode($query);

returns

{"query":{"meta_key":"\"preacher\"","meta_value":365,"post_type":"mbsb_sermon","posts_per_page":0},"query_vars":{"meta_key":"\"preacher\"","meta_value":365,"post_type":"mbsb_sermon","posts_per_page":10,"error":"","m":"","p":0,"post_parent":"","subpost":"","subpost_id":"","attachment":"","attachment_id":0,"name":"","static":"","pagename":"","page_id":0,"second":"","minute":"","hour":"","day":0,"monthnum":0,"year":0,"w":0,"category_name":"","tag":"","cat":"","tag_id":"","author":"","author_name":"","feed":"","tb":"","paged":0,"comments_popup":"","preview":"","s":"","sentence":"","fields":"","menu_order":"","category__in":[],"category__not_in":[],"category__and":[],"post__in":[],"post__not_in":[],"tag__in":[],"tag__not_in":[],"tag__and":[],"tag_slug__in":[],"tag_slug__and":[],"post_parent__in":[],"post_parent__not_in":[],"author__in":[],"author__not_in":[],"ignore_sticky_posts":false,"suppress_filters":false,"cache_results":true,"update_post_term_cache":true,"update_post_meta_cache":true,"nopaging":false,"comments_per_page":"50","no_found_rows":false,"order":"DESC"},"tax_query":{"queries":[],"relation":"AND"},"meta_query":{"queries":[{"key":"\"preacher\"","value":365}],"relation":"AND"},"date_query":false,"request":"SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS wp_posts.ID FROM wp_posts INNER JOIN wp_postmeta ON (wp_posts.ID = wp_postmeta.post_id) WHERE 1=1 AND wp_posts.post_type = 'mbsb_sermon' AND (wp_posts.post_status = 'publish' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'future' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'draft' OR wp_posts.post_status = 'pending') AND ( (wp_postmeta.meta_key = '\\\"preacher\\\"' AND CAST(wp_postmeta.meta_value AS CHAR) = '365') ) GROUP BY wp_posts.ID ORDER BY wp_posts.post_date DESC LIMIT 0, 10","posts":[],"post_count":0,"current_post":-1,"in_the_loop":false,"comment_count":0,"current_comment":-1,"found_posts":0,"max_num_pages":0,"max_num_comment_pages":0,"is_single":false,"is_preview":false,"is_page":false,"is_archive":true,"is_date":false,"is_year":false,"is_month":false,"is_day":false,"is_time":false,"is_author":false,"is_category":false,"is_tag":false,"is_tax":false,"is_search":false,"is_feed":false,"is_comment_feed":false,"is_trackback":false,"is_home":false,"is_404":false,"is_comments_popup":false,"is_paged":false,"is_admin":true,"is_attachment":false,"is_singular":false,"is_robots":false,"is_posts_page":false,"is_post_type_archive":true,"thumbnails_cached":false}

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.