How would I go about doing this?

thilakan

I am building cooking website. If the users want to check the price of the ingredients in different supermarkets they can do so.

Button one for supermarket one

Button two for supermarket two

Once the click button; it will show the ingredients list with the current price.

How would I go about doing this?

1. How do I get the current price from the supermarket?
  2.  Do I need to get permission from the supermarket?

Check this web site

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/corn-chowder-with-a-homemade-chilli-cracker/

THANK YOU

post-171982-0-87885800-1413884441_thumb.jpg

And that assumes that the particular supermarket has an agreement with the producers of that widget to provide their product list and prices in a useable format.  You on the other hand would have to id your products for you clients and then map those ids to each supermarkets ids 

Can you write your own code to do what?  To manage a client's shopping - sure.  No problem.  Create a db, add some tables, organize your data and write screens to log them in, build product dropdowns and selections and quantity capturing and then create a shopping list.  All that is easily controlled by you and your clients.  It's the connection to a market that is the difficult part.  You have to have a way in to their systems (legal) so that you can grab the info you desire.  Maybe you want the current price list.  Maybe you want to organize your client's shopping list by aisle number or something which you will have to get from each market's system.  That is the hard part - trying to talk to somebody else's body of work.  Are you ready for that?

Even if you limit the client's shopping to a specific store you would still have to record prices so that you can re-use them the next time they select those items.  You could also record the aisle number from the user's input as they check the items off their list on their smartphone inside the store.  All that would be doable.  But what do you do when the price changes, or when they re-locate items?  It's all doable but at what cost to you?

Thank you for your answer.

My biggest problem is how can I get hold of the daily/weekly/monthly price list from the supermarket.

Is there a way, I can access their website?

Like supper market price comparing site,

Edited by thilakan

Getting the prices from a store or even the product catalog in a format that you can make use of is, as I said, the tricky part.  I'm sure you can write an appl to 'do' all this, but getting the raw data to use in it is the hard part.   I have actually thought about this myself and didn't pursue it for just that reason.

What am I not saying?  You want to get prices from a store?  Try and find an interface for one of your chosen stores.  That's what I'm saying.  If you want to automate this you will need access to a database connection for each of your stores so that you can pull down product data and use it in your application.  Without some kind of connection (provided by the store or an intermediary) you would have to manually create a table of products and whatever information you want to retain about those products.  Manually - as in entering it yourself and updating the price, location, status whenever they change. 

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.