How Good Needs to Be Somebody to Apply for "Careers"?

glassfish

Let's say for an "entry-income or low-income" to get started with.

How should it look like when it comes to the skills?

Could it work out if somebody for example can program with "bind parameters" and OOP in PHP?

What are your recommendations?

Edited by glassfish

Honestly?  Judging by your post history, I think you're trying to run before you can walk.

What do you mean by "can program with 'bind parameters'?"  And since you're looking to find OOP blogging software to learn from just a topic or two down, can you really say you understand OOP?  Because any decent employer will test you on it.  Right there, on the spot.  And the test will be far more complicated than 'write a class'.

Do you know what composition is?  How it differs from inheritance?  What about polymorphism?  Do you know the basic patterns?  Factory Method?  Prototype?  Decorator?  Strategy?

If you answered 'no' to any of the above, you cannot claim that you can program OOP in any language.

I'm not trying to dissuade you.  Your enthusiasm is good.  But it needs to be tempered by realism.  You need to learn the fundamentals.  You might be able to get an entry level position, but you need to be sure you're prepared to be tested.

And be sure to have a portfolio of completed projects you can show off.  At the end of the day, employers need to know you can complete a task from start to finish.  Even if it's just test/experimental stuff you did on your own.

Well, it was said there would be more jobs in programming, and I was wondering "how it may have to look like" when it comes to the skills and when looking to apply for the "Carrers" link.

With "bind parameters" I mean "secure" programming, for example secured of "SQL injection".

Well, after you have said "those", I could be getting into those, I was not necessarily looking to "apply" now.

I was also looking for something "exact".

I also think, that when it comes to getting into those you have had mentioned I may be better off with OOP instead of "continuing" the "procedural style".

Edited by glassfish

Well, it was said there would be more jobs in programming, and I was wondering "how it may have to look like" when it comes to the skills and when looking to apply for the "Carrers" link.

With "bind parameters" I mean "secure" programming, for example secured of "SQL injection".

Well, after you have said "those", I could be getting into those, I was not necessarily looking to "apply" now.

I was also looking for something "exact".

I also think, that when it comes to getting into those you have had mentioned I may be better off with OOP instead of "continuing" the "procedural style".

I have the feeling that English isn't your first language, because the way you quote and italicize things makes no sense.

Regarding creating a Careers 2.0 profile, you'll need to improve your skills across the board.  That site is geared towards existing professionals obtaining new jobs.  Unless I'm misreading what you want.

But, yeah, putting something like "I know how to bind parameters while running database queries" in your resume is foolish.  It's like saying "I know how to use arrays."  It's a rudimentary skill, not something to highlight.  That you think it's something you should bring attention to only shows how far you still need to go.

Like I said before, your best bet is to actually create something.  That will give you something you can point to as an example of your skill set, which will give employers an idea of what you can actually do.  It's a vital piece to the puzzle, regardless of whether you're posting your resume online or contacting employers directly.  No work you can show = no job.  It's as simple as that.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.