Is There a "Sure" Way to Make Money Online?

glassfish

Maybe some experienced people could be letting me know when it comes this?

I thought of a  "file storage" web app like "YouSendIt", I also thought of a "web host" web app as a "reseller".

With this I am getting caught up in thoughts, that the traffic could not happen.

Is there something, where one could be more "sure" that the traffic may happen, and with this the "clicks" too, even if it are a $100 or $200 per month?

I would appreciate the suggestions a lot.

Content, content, content.  The key to SEO.

There are several, and I mean several, other factors involved (with search engines today), but content is the number one source of information.

By content, I means words, lots of words, like enough to fill a few blog entries.  For ecommerce sites, the product information, and most importantly the name and descriptions will draw in the traffic.

The only sure way to make money online is to create/maintain sites for others.  It's not sexy, but it's stable and consistent.

Entrepreneurship is great, it really is.  But for every app or service that makes it, dozens fail, and fail hard.  It's difficult to come up with something truly innovative or disruptive.  Even the big corporations have difficulties, and they have scores of people whose job it is to create the next big thing.  Just look at Google Wave, or Microsoft's Kin Phone for relatively recent examples.

I've seen a ton of people come through here with dreams of making the Next x.  The next Facebook.  The next E-Harmony.  The next Dropbox.  And, IMO, if you merely want to iterate on what's been done before, chances are you're going to fail.  Why?  Because you need to come up with something so compelling that users will jump ship from established products that contain their info - whether it's personal profiles, the ability to interact with their friends, their files, whatever - to your product.  And that's a hugely difficult sell, as end users are lazy and creatures of habit.

For me, the risk isn't worth it.  I'd rather have stable income than take a risk that the numbers show I won't likely win.

• Like 1

The only sure way to make money online is to create/maintain sites for others.  It's not sexy, but it's stable and consistent.

Entrepreneurship is great, it really is.  But for every app or service that makes it, dozens fail, and fail hard.  It's difficult to come up with something truly innovative or disruptive.  Even the big corporations have difficulties, and they have scores of people whose job it is to create the next big thing.  Just look at Google Wave, or Microsoft's Kin Phone for relatively recent examples.

I've seen a ton of people come through here with dreams of making the Next x.  The next Facebook.  The next E-Harmony.  The next Dropbox.  And, IMO, if you merely want to iterate on what's been done before, chances are you're going to fail.  Why?  Because you need to come up with something so compelling that users will jump ship from established products that contain their info - whether it's personal profiles, the ability to interact with their friends, their files, whatever - to your product.  And that's a hugely difficult sell, as end users are lazy and creatures of habit.

For me, the risk isn't worth it.  I'd rather have stable income than take a risk that the numbers show I won't likely win.

Man, was that a smart post! Indeed, creating websites for others (if you are good at it, of course) is the most "sure" way of making money, even if it is quite difficult, in the sense that you have to work a lot. But hey, if you start working at a fast-food chain, you will have to work your ass off as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Everything can fail.

With any business is usually a risk factor...or everyone would be rich.

The biggest factors will be total costs, profits and current trends.

Naturally if have money to spare, this becomes easier that can take more risks and chances of turning a profit.

As for myself I like to always keep the overhead and initial investments next to nothing, expect to fail, hope to succeed.

In this way it's easy to try many ventures.

I self retired myself from punching a time card in 1998 at age 27 and took the plunge trying new businesses with something that sparks my interest. Have had a pile of businesses in real life and also online.

Construction company for commercial and residential all phases, automotive garage, anything computer related such as building, repairing, networking, programming, freelancing.

I saw the local work drying up and people either wanting to pay dirt cheap or simply not get the work done. I don't mind hard work. I worked 15-18 hour days 6 days a week for many years. What I don't like is working for nothing. The business and personal bills still come even if the clients don't. Around the year 2001 I shifted myself back to the computer field which before then was just a hobby since age 8.

Online businesses make the most sense, are open 24/7 every day of the year, you can be open even while you sleep or are out.

Some of my websites were movie and tv indexes, article aggregators, server and website hosting, web casting community, my free search engine and websites index, even had a blog where I wrote tutorials. ha ha

Only the hosting and the article aggregator ever turned a large profit, the others I created so people can use them and never tried to profit.

You have to have multiple sources of income and really helps if one of those is a guaranteed income.

The days of ads for revenue has been long gone, they just don't cut it.

So anything based on views with ads is most likely going to fail.

It's hard to get people to flock to something new, usually the word free does that, but that defeats the goal here.

My opinion is you need to have a product or a service.

You or others working for you doing paid work or some type of pay for application you make.

In simple terms... you need to have something to offer them, either a physical product or you as the product.

Honest work for honest wages still exists.

There is some profit to be had in hosting and resellers, but takes a lot of work and the knowledge.

I'm talking like renting or owning dedicated servers and selling off dedicated or virtual private servers to others.

There are applications like xenserver, solusvm, hypervm, virtuozzo

Can host custom or pre-made websites like wordpress and joomla as an example.

Believe it or not is still many people totally clueless about how to even get a website...let alone set it up and configure it how they want.

I did very well a while with hosting, my main business plan was providing free websites with my ads on their pages. When adblock came out it couldn't even pay a monthly server bill. If i had it set up where people paid a small monthly fee could work. I was setting it up that way but leaned a different direction completely.

ohv.com has a few decent priced powerful servers I feel can profit from.

Consider this one http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/range-2013/2013-EG-128.xml

Because has so much power, space, memory, bandwidth, network speed, you can do a pile on that one machine.

If you pay the yearly is a month free as well.

You need to make less than 10 dollars a day to pay for that server, so figure out ways to profit off that.

I'll tell you my current plan which I am still creating. I doubt it will ever really be done, but something generating income will be nice.

Selling services to other websites through multiple api systems.

Some of the services I'll offer:

Automatic video embedder which supports many thousands of websites, can actually discover sources, use different players. Just by using a url of a page or the video source itself...an embedded video magically appears.

Article previews including images, again by just a url.

All sorts of scrapers and crawlers, links, images, articles, files

Feed related like sidebar displays, aggregators,feed creators for own site.

Sitemap creator,reader.

Domain and ip policy restrictions, possible for allowed or banned sites protection for sites, links, applications.

Safe filtering or parsing of the html.

Image thumbnails, website and page snapshots, galleries, sliders

Easy SEO integration. opengraph, oembed, additional meta, auto generated keywords with negative keywords lists.

Spammer protection.

Video search and youtube search term auto generated playlists.

That's just to name a few already have created.

Will use a simple credits system with a penny per view. They buy however many credits they want, use any one of my many services and a credit gets deducted. Their credits roll over into next months unlike other services usually do.

With others are almost forced to buy larger packages not needed or risk the service not working. Every month leftover credits are lost and a new package begins.

For years I have made applications,snippets and so on, always with intentions to sell but never did. Is too many thieves out there that will copy it for free or even change it and call it their own. Selling them as services seems like a good way to keep my code safe while also helping others get what they need at their websites.

I'll consider hosting or protecting others api/services/scripts through my site and services. Contact me any time and let me know.

The only sure way to make money online is to create/maintain sites for others.

Yeah and is a lot of hard and frustrating work dealing with people sometimes not knowing what they want.

Building a trusting and reliable reputation can get you places.

Kudos to you for sticking with it, I know first hand takes some real effort.

Sorry for the long winded post, had a lot to say.

• Like 1

There is no easy way to make money online - at least not the honest way.

What I have found to be the least hard way, it to build affiliate sites and do some serious SEO to get them at the top of google on the keywords for the affiliate campaings I am running. This can heaily make you 100-200$ after 3-4 mdr of hard work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.