Req: Check input and deny

jokerfool

In the form below how do I alter the code so when someone types something into the email that is clearly not recognized an an email address it either asks the customer to recheck or fails

<tr>
					  <td align="right"><?php echo $LANG['index_email_add']; ?> </td>
					  <td>:</td>
					  <td align="left">	<input name="email" type="text" id="email" required></td>
					</tr>

<tr>
					  <td align="right"><?php echo $LANG['index_pass'] ; ?></td>
					  <td align="left"><input name="password" type="password" required id="password"></td>
					</tr>
					<tr>
					  <td align="right"><?php echo $LANG['postcode'] ; ?> </td>
					  <td align="left"><input class="input"   id="geocomplete" type="text" placeholder="<?php echo $LANG['index_location']; ?>" name="address" required>
				      <input name="action" type="hidden" id="action" value="joinNow" /></td>
					</tr>

The problem I have is that any data can be added to the 3 fields and by anything even using !@#$%^&*():"{}';<>.,

How do I prevent those special characters from being used.

When it asks for email I can enter ;

When it asks for password I can enter '

and last PostCode I can enter: ]

How to prevent this from happening?

Thanks

I disagree with no validation logic in the form. Helping the user on the fly with credentials/data needed to be placed in the fields is a big plus in most applications.

However, you won't be able to do this with PHP. You'd need to use, for instance, Javascript. (For on-the-fly validation, like I'm assuming based on your post is what you wanted, upon entering an Email address)

In addition, like Psycho already mentioned, you should also have a validation on the script that actually process the data, for obvious reasons.

I disagree with no validation logic in the form. Helping the user on the fly with credentials/data needed to be placed in the fields is a big plus in most applications.

1. No, you should NOT add validation logic "in the form". You can add Client-Side validation logic via JavaScript, but it should not be written "in the form". It should be written as separate JS functions that are called when there is a change event detected for the fields.

2. Client-Side validation logic is never, ever a substitute for Server-Side validation logic. Client-Side logic should only be added to compliment the logic that would be in place on the server. Client-Side logic can always be circumvented and can never be counted on to prevent erroneous or malicious input.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.