Installing Laravel without Composer

Korferer

Hi.

My sys admin guy has informed me that installing composer is unlikely. They're a bit jumpy about security around here.

I tried to download and run Laravel on it's own but I'm getting errors when I go to http://example.com/test/laravel/public/

Warning: require(/var/www/html/test/laravel/bootstrap/../vendor/autoload.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/html/test/laravel/bootstrap/autoload.php on line 17

Fatal error: require(): Failed opening required '/var/www/html/test/laravel/bootstrap/../vendor/autoload.php' (include_path='.:/php/includes:/var/www/html/php/includes:/jpa/release/jpa/includes:/usr/share/pear:/usr/share/php/phpmailer:/apache/htdocs/applications/surveys/Includes:/var/lib/ZF1/library') in /var/www/html/test/laravel/bootstrap/autoload.php on line 17

I'm very new to Laravel and I am basically assuming that the reason for these errors is because i haven't installed all the various dependancies. And that you can only install all the dependancies through Composer. Is this the case?

I downloaded the Laravel framework from GitHub

Unfortunately.. My only real experience of PHP Frameworks is CodeIgniter. So I've never expoled/used "packages" or "dependancies" and don't really know where they are, or where they go, or what they do!

I managed to get Laravel up and running on my personal computer (using Composer).... But, as I've said, I might not be able to do this on my day job server. Any tips?

----- Update -----

Is there a chance I am just misunderstanding the word "Dependancies"? It's not a word I often use. Does it just mean "The PHP files that make up the Laravel Framework"?

Edited by Korferer

as far as I know you don't need to install Composer in your server, if you already installed laravel in your PC using composer all the dependencies are in place, then you only need to copy your whole Laravel application folder to your server

Edited by mikosiko

That reply doesn't really make a lot of sense. You kind of contradict yourself. Basically, I'm working on a server that is not connected to the internet. It's an intranet. I can't just go and apt-get or composer install a whole bunch of dependencies.

So should I be using Laravel at all? What frameworks out there are only just a set of php files? For example.... CodeIgniter. Say what you will about CI, but it is a solution for this kind of environment. I'm looking at CakePHP but it seems pretty much EXACTLY the same as CI

That reply doesn't really make a lot of sense. You kind of contradict yourself. Basically, I'm working on a server that is not connected to the internet. It's an intranet. I can't just go and apt-get or composer install a whole bunch of dependencies.

I will assume that you don't have experience with composer neither with Laravel, hence your lack of understanding, and don't making sense of my answer... let me clarify a little bit... starting for show you your own sentences in the OP

I managed to get Laravel up and running on my personal computer (using Composer).... But, as I've said, I might not be able to do this on my day job server. Any tips?

OK.. so you have Laravel running in your PC after install it using composer... and I'm assuming that will be the pc that you will use for developing correct? .... (I hope that you are not thinking in developing on your Production Server)...

Have you looked what Composer did with the Laravel dependencies? (hint: check the "vendor" folder/sub-folders under Laravel)... short answer...Laravel is Installed and ready to run so you can start developing/testing.... (as you said...a framework with a bunch of "files")....... when your application is completed/tested and ready for deployment just COPY the Laravel Folder to your server (no Composer involved not apt-get, nothing fancy at all) plus your application files... and there you go, just adjust the database credentials (if you are using ones) and that is.

Later, if you need to update/upgrade Laravel... just do it in your DEVELOPMENT enviroment, test everything again and RE-DEPLOY to your Server.... Intranet/Internet doesn't matter at all because as you said is your Production Server at work... so you can upload the files yourself (if you have the permissions) or hand it to your SysAdmins for installation.

There are other options to deploy your app's but it will be the simplest if you don't have the rights on your server.

So, what part of my original answer didn't make sense to you, and in which part I contradict myself?

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...

What specifically about Composer does your sysadmin deem unsafe, when you have the ability to upload anything you want via FTP or whatever? Screw him anyway, he clearly has no idea; just use a local composer.phar copy (assuming you have SSH access to the server.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.