Uploading from one’s own computer & internet

jamesmargolis

I know about

<input type="file" >

which allows one to upload files from one’s computer. But
 now I need a pop-up window that allows the user to choose first if he uploads from his computer or from the internet. How may I achieve that ?

This question is perhaps better suited for the "Javascript" or even "AJAX" forum ; if someone
advises me to, I will move that question and put it in the appropriate forum.

What do you mean by the term "from the internet"

From a dropbox or an online image repository, for example.

If the user chooses to upload "from his computer", everything will work as with an ordinary "input type="file"".

If the user chooses to upload "from the web", he is to be provided a text field in which he will type the URL of the image/audio/video.

I know this is something already implemented in many sites ; for example, if you click on the image icon in the panel at http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/ask, you get exactly what I am looking for

Edited by jamesmargolis

You'd need to use Javascript. When the Computer radio button is clicked show the file field. If the Web radio button is click show the textbox.  

Here is an example using Jquery:

http://jsfiddle.net/d1n9xLwz/

NOTE: Only the file input field will upload the file to your server! The text field for entering the url to the file will only submit what was entered into it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.