Need help with database query (I think?) WORDPRESS

drewhew

Working on a website directory that includes ratings for listed companies. Trying to obtain information from database that would put some companies in a higher category than others. Or at least, I believe that is the approach I should be taking.

There are a few tricky issues.

1. Ratings are their own custom posts but are attached to company pages (parents)

2. Rating values I need to obtain are meta keys (1. total number of ratings & 2. rating average of EACH)

3. Ratings are based on four criteria which are summed and averaged for each rating submitted. As a result, values are rarely single digits such as 4 or 5 but include decimals rounded to 1 place (e.g. 4.8 or 3.5)

Additional info:

Ratings are based on 5-star system (out of 5)

Higher category would be business that achieved at least 10 ratings of 4 or more

Any help appreciated.

Working on a website directory that includes ratings for listed companies.

Need help with database query (I think?) WORDPRESS

You sure you want to tackle this?

Trying to obtain information from database that would put some companies in a higher category than others. Or at least, I believe that is the approach I should be taking.

Entirely possible if that's what you want to do.

There are a few tricky issues.

1. Ratings are their own custom posts but are attached to company pages (parents)

2. Rating values I need to obtain are meta keys (1. total number of ratings & 2. rating average of EACH)

3. Ratings are based on four criteria which are summed and averaged for each rating submitted. As a result, values are rarely single digits such as 4 or 5 but include decimals rounded to 1 place (e.g. 4.8 or 3.5)

Nothing uncommon there, if the data is in the database can be accessed and used.

Additional info:

Ratings are based on 5-star system (out of 5)

Higher category would be business that achieved at least 10 ratings of 4 or more

A little more advanced query, still possible.

Any help appreciated.

Is your goal to just sort your results in your theme?

Is this a plugin that creates a directory?

You explained your goal well, now just need to see some code,relevant database tables, current query.

Any additional useful information would help.

If you posted the sites url here or even in a message to me I would look at it.

I have to admit for the cheap price they give a lot, one of nicest directories with a theme have seen to date for wordpress.

Reminds me of airbnb.com

Is going to be harder to get help because not many would be willing to go buy it just to help you out.

Most likely doing it in a running environment as well.

Hard enough to get free help, but redesigning, changing the functions that theme and plugin is probably more than think it is.

You never know what custom functions they did or how hooked into wordpress until looked at it all.

The creators have a huge advantage over anyone else, they know how they made it work.

I assumed was just a plugin using any theme, what you have there will be more complicated to modify, not impossible, but more work.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.