mod rewrite for specific domain wordpress

MDanz

I have multiple folders(domains) in my public_html folder. In my public_html folder i have a .htaccess file. I want to do mod rewrite on a specific domain e.g. www.test.com

Here is the mod rewrite wordpress has written for each domain

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

The above code is in my .htaccess file multiple times, so i don't know which one to edit. I want to add the below code to the domain www.test.com but i don't know which one to edit.

RewriteRule ^page/(.*) ads/page/$1 [R=301,L]
RewriteRule ^page/(.*)/ ads/page/$1/ [R=301,L]

What is the solution? Any help, greatly appreciated.

I don't understand how you can have stuff "written for each domain", and at the same time not know which domain each was written for.

It's an assumption, in my .htaccess file in the root folder i have several of the below code written.  So i don't know which one to change for the specific domain.

# BEGIN WordPress
<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
</IfModule>

# END WordPress

Is there a workaround of putting .htaccess in wp-content folder?

You can use %{HTTP_HOST} in a RewriteCond to detect the domain name, and RewriteRule(s) specific to that domain name. But it seems like each WP "site" should have it's own .htaccess and not one to run them all.

.htaccess files cascade.

Like if you had:

/public_html/.htaccess

/public_html/site1

/public_html/site2

That .htaccess at the root (public_html) would affect both the /site1 and /site2 dirs. Instead you'd want a separate htaccess to be within each of the /site1 and /site2 dirs. This would be more clean with each site having it's own htaccess file, and then you wouldn't have to muck around with domain specific rules which can get very complex the more sites you're trying to control with a single htaccess file.

You can use %{HTTP_HOST} in a RewriteCond to detect the domain name, and RewriteRule(s) specific to that domain name. But it seems like each WP "site" should have it's own .htaccess and not one to run them all.

.htaccess files cascade.

Like if you had:

/public_html/.htaccess

/public_html/site1

/public_html/site2

That .htaccess at the root (public_html) would affect both the /site1 and /site2 dirs. Instead you'd want a separate htaccess to be within each of the /site1 and /site2 dirs. This would be more clean with each site having it's own htaccess file, and then you wouldn't have to muck around with domain specific rules which can get very complex the more sites you're trying to control with a single htaccess file.

The way my clients website is set up it has

/public_html/website 1

/public_html/website 2

/public_html/wp-content

/public_html/website 3

The website i want to mod rewrite on is /public_html/wp-content.  If i put a .htaccess file in /wp-content will that override the .htaccess file in the public_html folder?

Thanks for help

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.