• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 LeJack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

God bless both of you!! I now have PHP the way the rest of the world does! :D Everything works! You guys meet me at Joe's in an hour...the drinks are on me!

I installed Lamp, although I removed MySQL and reinstalled MariaDB, watched a video shot to me by LeJack and...lol...the rest is history! I will be a contributor here for a long time to come. This is the most helpful forum I've ever been on. PHPFreaks ROCKS!!

Thanks again :D

I do have one more question though: Do I have to store all of my php files in var/www/html for testing? They can't be somewhere on my Desktop in a folder? I ask because I can access regular html files from a desktop folder and use them...but it seems php is a special case. Just wondering.

Well, you could, but I'm not sure how to configure Apache to point to a different destination cuz I have mine installed on Windows so I basically installed mine in my C drive.

I believe it's possible to install your workspace on other places, but you'll have to configure it in the apache2.conf file. Not sure if that helps.

#22 QuickOldCar

• Moderators
  • Advanced Member
  • 2,995 posts
  • LocationNorthEast Pennsylvania

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:14 AM

It used to always be var/www

The new default web server location is var/www/html, the answer is yes

The php won't get parsed unless you ran it from cli(command line interface) or in that folder

Mostly due to permissions is best to do it from the public html folder

You could include or require files (a php script for whatever reason) from outside of the public html folder though

For instance wanting to include a list of sensitive passwords to check against stored in a csv file located in /var/passwords

Btw welcome, visit php.net for some tutorials,examples and a wealth of information

#23 Landslyde

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 08 December 2014 - 04:27 AM

Thanks LeJack and QuickOldCar. My PHP adventure begins now. See y'all around.

"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them"  -- Albert Einstein

"For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them." --Aristotle

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users