IP2Location Database IPv6 conversion to IP Number Decimal

brentman
Go to solution Solved by Barand,

I just downloaded and installed IP2Location database and everything is smooth for IPv4 addresses. (If you want to get location from peoples IP the free version is here: http://lite.ip2location.com/database-ip-country-region-city-latitude-longitude-zipcode-timezone) You convert the IPv4 address to an IP number and then do a database query. See here:

$ip_split = split ("\.", "$ip");
$ip_num = $ip_split[3] + ($ip_split[2] * 256) + ($ip_split[1] * 256 * 256) + ($ip_split[0] * 256 * 256 * 256);

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ip2location_db11 WHERE '$ip_num' BETWEEN ip_from AND ip_to");

However I now need to do this for an IPv6 address but there is no documentation or anything I can find Googleing about how to do this for IPv6. Obviously the same method will not work as it has letters in the address as well as more numbers. There is obviously some difference to it. Anyone know what to do?

Thanks!

Found the answer but new issue now. Here is the code:

$ipv6 = '2404:6800:4001:805::1006';
$int = inet_pton($ipv6);
$bits = 15;

$ipv6long = 0;

while($bits >= 0){
	$bin = sprintf("%08b", (ord($int[$bits])));

if($ipv6long){
		$ipv6long = $bin . $ipv6long;
	}
	else{
		$ipv6long = $bin;
	}
	$bits--;
}

$ipv6long = gmp_strval(gmp_init($ipv6long, 2), 10);

Now the only problem is I do not have math functions installed. I would prefer not to install them. Is there an alternate for the two gmp functions?

• Solution

I tried this and it returned empty.

$ip_test = '2607:f0d0:1002:51::4';
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM ip2location_db11_ipv6 WHERE INET_ATON('$ip_test') BETWEEN ip_from AND ip_to");
$location_record = mysql_fetch_array($result);

:rtfm:  If you are working with ip6 then you need INET6_ATON() . This function requires MySQL 5.6+

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.