doubt with time consuming function

EdwardBoszczowski

I have a php code that call a process (a java program). The process runs in background for a so long time - from 1 minute to 2 hours. I make the process call using exec:

<?php
function execInBackground($cmd) {
    if (substr(php_uname(), 0, 7) == "Windows"){
        pclose(popen("start /B ". $cmd, "r"));
    }
    else {
        exec($cmd . "  &> /dev/null &");
    }
}
$command = "java ... ReadEmailsCmdLine 2>&1";
execInBackground($command);

echo "FINALIZADO";

Though the command runs in background it looks that the PHP code wait for the command completion to send a answer to client browser because I just see "FINALIZADO" after the java program finished its execution.

Does someone know how I can solve this problem? Or at least does have a hint/pointer for that?

Since now I thanks any comment/suggestion

Using something like Gearman to launch the process from a separate worker thread would be the most ideal solution.

Other than that launching the process in the background while redirecting both stdout and stderr should work ok. Your command line format for linux is not correct. The proper format would be:

command >/dev/null 2>&1 &

Make sure what you execute matches that format.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.