Need help with this error SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064

helloworld001
Go to solution Solved by helloworld001,

I have a pdo prepared statement that fetches records from mysql database.  The records show up on the page. However if there are no records on a page, I get this error message.

"QLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '-10' at line 4"

Here is my statement

$getCategoryId = $_GET['id'];
$limit = 10;
$offset = ($page - 1)  * $limit;

$statement = $db->prepare("SELECT records.*, categories.* FROM records 
LEFT JOIN categories ON records.category_id = categories.category_id
WHERE records.category_id = :category_id 
ORDER BY record_id DESC LIMIT {$limit} OFFSET ".$offset);
$statement->bindParam('category_id', $getCategoryId);
$statement->execute();
$results = $statement->fetchAll(PDO::FETCH_ASSOC);

If I remove try and catch block, it'll tell me exactly which line is giving the issue.  So from the above code, the error has to do with "$statement->execute();".  This is where the error occurs.

As far as I know, the above pdo statement is correct.  Can you tell me if something is wrong with it?

Edited by helloworld001

Your query is fine. The problem is with the use of $offset which is defined here

$offset = ($page - 1)  * $limit;

Here it takes away one from $page and then multiplies that by $limit (which is 10).

Problem is if no page has been requested $page will be 0. This will cause ($page - 1) to return -1 and then that is multiplied by $limit (which is 10). This will result in $offset being set to -10 and that is the cause of the error

You only want to calculate the offset if $page is not 0.

$offset = 0;  // default offset value

// if $page greater than zero, calculate the offset
if($page > 0)
    $offset = ($page - 1)  * $limit;

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.