Replicate Nodes

bsmither

Using HTML5 and CSS3, and jQuery is available.

I have a form block enclosing several hidden div blocks. jQuery will unhide a div block on selecting a control node -- presented as a tab.

I need to have a form input appear in more than one div block. That is, the HTML has four tabs, each tab making visible one of four div blocks. On one of the four div blocks, a specific form input is present.

I need for this specific input to also appear in one of the other div blocks. I want the one input, coded in one of the div blocks, to be "seen" and be operational in another div block -- but not have the HTML code for it located or duplicated there.

I thought about adding another input tag with the same name and showing the same value, but that is unworkable as it stands. I do not want to replicate or duplicate or otherwise make two separate inputs. But...

My current plan is to have two inputs of the same name, but the input in the hidden div block is disabled. By being disabled, the value of it will not be submitted. When the second div block becomes visible, the first input is disabled and the second is enabled. I would also need to copy the newly entered value into the other same-named input.

Could there be a better way?

Another way would be to move the specific input outside of the div blocks so that it is always visible. But I do not care to have this input visible for all the div blocks when each becomes visible.

Edited by bsmither

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.