How do you accomplish dragging?

moose-en-a-gant

I would like to have database entries or rows, be outputted into "panels" with independent x's on them to delete an entry. I think I've got the update / delete stuff figured out, what I don't know is how to hold down an entry and drag it up / down with the other's reacting and then this reorders them eg. updates database ID numbers.

Any thoughts?

You have to use Javascript to do the actual dragging. You do so by using it to adjust the items CSS top and left properties as you move the mouse around the screen.

The simplest thing to do would be to use a library that handles it for you such as jQuery UI's Draggable widget.

Yeah, I started with Jquery's UI, it's nice. I eventually moved to http://interactjs.io though, this thing is an absolute monster. Very lightweight as well, and doesn't even depend on jquery.

Add http://darsa.in/tooltips/ to your movable objects as well, and it becomes simply beautiful.

Edited by Monkuar

I'm trying to create a wireframe for my website, why am I reinventing the wheel? I don't know... the wheel is not good enough I guess...

Anyway, I'm curious how... well I think anything is possible you know...

I have this page called "features" which have basic website features like forms, login, file upload, emailing, etc...

Ideally people would just drag those over a background / canvas and position it around, nothing new.

But what would also be ideal is that when the person preses "save" or "buy" databases are created and assigned to those values...

So that rather than placing an order and waiting, the website is ready to go... I know, nothing new

I don't look at what services exist already, I know it seems dumb like "Why not check the competition / what exists."

Well I try to come up with everything on my own relatively, I mean you guys are helping me by telling me what to do haha but...

I don't know... I may have been hired to desing a really basic website for $400.00 can't count my chickens till they hatch but that's really cool. Like a fantasy turned reality... there is a catch though... "endless revision" lol... it's like, oh.... right

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.