What's the best way to use heading tags and show them on Google search engine?

helloworld001
Go to solution Solved by cyberRobot,

For a long time, I think I have been using heading tags wrong on websites. 

They always show like this on Google.

Websitename
websitename.com/category?name=mystery
Posted by Night Flyer; 7 days ago; 5 views. « first; « prev; 1 of 1; next »; last ». Contact Us; @ 2014 websitename Inc. All Rights Reserved.

As you can see, Google takes all the heading tags on my page and puts them in the description of the search result.  So I have finally come to the conclusion that I should not be using heading tags for those things.  Am I correct on that?

• Solution

For me that type of information shouldn't be in a heading tag. Perhaps the following quote from the Mozilla Developer Network documentation (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/Heading_Elements) will help:

A heading element briefly describes the topic of the section it introduces.

Assuming that you have a blog, the <h1> tag should probably be applied to the blog title. And <h2> tags would be applied to any headings that may be in the blog post...assuming the post is broken into sections.

For me that type of information shouldn't be in a heading tag. Perhaps the following quote from the Mozilla Developer Network documentation (https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/Heading_Elements) will help:

Assuming that you have a blog, the <h1> tag should probably be applied to the blog title. And <h2> tags would be applied to any headings that may be in the blog post...assuming the post is broken into sections.

Yes I am going to do that from now on.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.