Multiple data in a single record

swatisonee

Hi.

I have a product database w/ tables each for product series, model, sub-model and optionals. One item in each of these makes up one product. So Series K, Model 7, sub-model 2, optional 3 will be a product called K 7/2-3 .The permutations and combinations of these are all possible products.

In the same db, I have a quotations table. Each quotation has a unique id / record.  A quotation can include any number of products : it can have K 7/2-3, KA 561/1-2 , FPN 311/2-1  or it can only have KA 561/1-2 etc.

Now I am stuck. Don't know how to

a. structure the quotations table

b. create a MySQL select so that one statement can make multiple selections . I thought of using a checkbox but that doesn't work either since the series/model/sub model/optionals must chosen sequentially.

Any ideas I can follow thru ?

Many thanks

Swati

Sounds like you would have something like the model attached below. This assumes a particular option applies to a single submodel

As for your selection then maybe have a series of linked dropdowns.

1. A dropdown menu of series
  2. A dropdown of those models belonging to the series selected in menu 1
  3. A menu of those submodels belong to the selected model
  4. A menu of the options for the selected submodel
  5. A menu of products belonging to the selected option

post-3105-0-81045800-1421411850_thumb.png

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.