Help with auto creation after payment

madjack87

I am not sure what to look for to even get started. If some one could help point me in the right direction that would be appreciated.

I created a customer system that tracks contracts and invoices ect. Where do I start if I would want a customer to be able to go to the website, sign up, and their own version of the system would be created.

Do I just write a script that creates a new database with the correct credentials? Do all of the users access the same files but just have different database. Do I have to copy the directory of files to a specific folder for each customer?

I know there must be tons of websites that once you sign up for example a calendar app that keeps your data seperate from everyone else.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Jack

Well, you'd have a registration system. Once their data is saved in the db, they now have a unique ID (auto-incrementing ID column). You wouldn't have a different database for each user. Just one for all. You'd use their ID in all of the other tables.

Like in the invoices table, you'd have a user_id column in addition to your other regular fields. Then when querying the database, you just grab everything for that user_id, or store it using their user_id, or whatever.

That's the purpose of a relational database.

Well, you'd have a registration system. Once their data is saved in the db, they now have a unique ID (auto-incrementing ID column). You wouldn't have a different database for each user. Just one for all. You'd use their ID in all of the other tables.

Like in the invoices table, you'd have a user_id column in addition to your other regular fields. Then when querying the database, you just grab everything for that user_id, or store it using their user_id, or whatever.

That's the purpose of a relational database.

Well in my case there are multiple users per company. They all access their companies data.. What if I want to add a completely seperate company, but I want it to be at the same URL / domain. Do I create a new folder and database for each company? I already have the system built for one company with many tables all relational. We have been using it for two years. What my question is if I want to sell this where other companies can create an account and have there own system for their company how do I go about doing that. That is where the multiple database questions come in.

No. Again having a table per company would be the same as having a table per user. I'm assuming that you will have/require the same info for each company and it wouldn't change from company/company. That's not what a relational database is supposed to do. Please research "relational database" and I think you'll get a better understanding. You'd have a companies table with the fields for the company information. Each company will have a unique ID.

Something like:

Companies

-id (unique company ID)

-name

-address

-website

Then users, and the user references the company they work for

Users

-id (unique user id)

-company_id (references companies.id)

-first_name

-last_name

-email

So this allows multiple companies, and multiple users per company. Same idea as with the invoices.

If a user with an ID of 4 logs in, you look up what company they belong to in the companies table by getting "WHERE companies.id = users.company_id" and load the company data.

Edited by CroNiX

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.