Tips regarding security issues involved with listing filenames in php

JustinsLorel

Hey guys, i have created a php file which takes two parameters:

a subdirectory path

a file extension

it then echos the complete path pf (glob()) all the files with that extension in the searching folder.

I wanted to know the security issues involved with this and how i might use escape methods to make sure someone can't move up the directory listing and get other filename.

Are there any other concerns i should have?

No data is coming or going to a database however there are other php files on the server which communicate with mySQL.

Thanks alot!

Personally I would never give someone that kind of open access. If your task is to allow a user to bro(wse 'some' files that you have, I would put them in a set of folder(s) and use my own code to search them for whatever extension the user provides. That way he/she cannot browse anywhere else. You could also provide a dropdown list of folders to be checked, but let your script verify that the folder they select is one of the ones you expect by comparing the one chosen to a list that you store in your script or in a db.

Ginerjm,  I don't think the OP is asking for total access, only access to files/directories in a given directory.

I expect the server code will define a base directory such as /some/directory/to/locate/user/files/

Then you are given a user input such as some/specific/directory.

Would just removing all periods do the trick?  This would prevent a directory named bla.bla, so maybe just two periods or a period next to a forward slash?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.