Sorting Multi Array

Lectrician

I have an array as below, and would like to sort it alphabetically by username.  I know in the order shown below, asort works, but what if the username key is not the first?

Any ideas on the best ways?

usersdata = array(

[12345] = array( [username] => "Toby", => "toby@toby.com", [permissions] => "1,2,3,4" )

[12346] = array( [username] => "Tom", => "tom@tom.com", [permissions] => "5,6,7,8" )

[12347] = array( [username] => "Mable", => "mable@olddear.com", [permissions] => "1,2,3,4" )

[12348] = array( [username] => "Twit", => "twit@twit.com", [permissions] => "1,2,3,4,5,6,7" )

)

Two ways.

First is array_multisort but it requires a separate array of use the usernames. You pass that array and the original $usersdata and it sorts both at once, in order (so it sorts by username first and by $usersdata second). I don't like array_multisort().

Second is usort. I like usort().

usort($usersdata, function($a, $b) {
    return strcmp($a["username"], $b["username"]);
});
The function gets two entries from the array and return 0 for $a after $b, and 0 if they're the same. This happens to match up exactly with how strcmp() works.

If the $userdata variable is associative and you need to maintain the keys as they were, you can use the uasort() function 

<?php
$usersdata = array(
  12345 => array( 'username' => "Toby", 'email' => "toby@toby.com", 'permissions' => "1,2,3,4" ),
  12346 => array( 'username' => "Tom",  'email' => "tom@tom.com", 'permissions' => "5,6,7,8" ),
  12347 => array( 'username' => "Mable", 'email' => "mable@olddear.com", 'permissions' => "1,2,3,4" ),
  12348 => array( 'username' => "Twit",  'email' => "twit@twit.com", 'permissions' => "1,2,3,4,5,6,7" )
);

echo '<h2>Array as is</h2><pre>'. print_r($usersdata, 1) . '</pre>';

// Sort by Username's Name:
uasort($usersdata, function($x, $y) {
	return strcasecmp($x['username'], $y['username']);
});

echo '<h2>Array sorted by username\'s name</h2><pre>' . print_r($usersdata, 1) . '</pre>';

The function can stay the same, but the uasort() function will take into account and maintain the index association of your values. - I know it's being a little bit nit picky but the uasort is better for associative arrays. 

Edited by Strider64
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

That's great, thank-you.  I had kind of got there, but kept trying this and wondered why it would not work:

<<INCORRECT CODE>>

uasort($usersdata, function($1, $2) {
    return strcasecmp($1, $2);
});

I also left my asort un-commented directy below the new code, so the new code was doing it's job, and then the asort was obliterating it's work!  Twit.

And even if they were, they would be arrays and not string values. I find if difficult to see how you came up with that code after requinix gave you the working solution

Two ways.

First is array_multisort but it requires a separate array of use the usernames. You pass that array and the original $usersdata and it sorts both at once, in order (so it sorts by username first and by $usersdata second). I don't like array_multisort().

Second is usort. I like usort().

usort($usersdata, function($a, $b) {
    return strcmp($a["username"], $b["username"]);
});
The function gets two entries from the array and return <0 for sorting $a before $b, >0 for $a after $b, and 0 if they're the same. This happens to match up exactly with how strcmp() works.

• Like 1

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.