Need php help

JadWS

Hey there guys. I want first to thank you for helping me in my previous topic : http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/294511-not-saving-session-data-after-log-in/

But now i did not run throw a code problem yet throw a diff type of problems.

After reading the "posting rules" or forgot what it name was i realize that this post is probably a bad idea.

But here is the problem.

I am working on a system that can read the files of a my server witch i have in my home.

Yet after searching for days litterly i couldn't find any way or functions or even a hint to build a php function in order to read the files in the directory of the server.

So all i ask for is not for you to write any bit of code or any thing just if you know even a small bit of what im looking for to post it as a reply so i can finish my project .

Or if you know any tutorials on it.

After all i don't just want it to work but to also understand what is going on.

Thanks for reading.

a) you can use an ip address in a url (a domain name in a url is resolved to it's ip address by the requesting client anyways and http/ftp requests are actually performed using the ip address.)

b) the ip address you have listed is the local network ip of your computer. it's not the public ip address, which would be the ip address of your dsl/cable modem/router. in order to make your computer on your local network accessible over the internet, you would need to set up port forwarding on your router.

why exactly are you trying to do this, since most isp's don't allow public servers to setup on their networks?

... since most isp's don't allow public servers to setup on their networks?

I actually contacted my provider (Comcast), and they said while it is not officially allowed, it is okay as long as it is not abused (i.e. has much bandwidth, obviously serving inappropriate content, etc).  For my case, it is a development server which is only accessed by me, and sometimes I wish to view the site remotely.  For the OP, I would expect he only will be accessing it, so it is probably find.

In regards to the OP's question, I agree with mac_gver.  What do you wish to accomplish?  What is "reading" the files on your local machine?  If you wish to access files on your local machine via a web browser, consider hosing a simple website on that machine.  You still need to deal with public/local IPs as mac_gyver indicated.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.