Something change on this forum?

Did you post a reply in the threads that you received email from? If you reply to a thread, it subscribes you to that thread.

You can change that behavior if you click on your username and go to the "My Settings" menu and then "notification options"

and change the " Auto follow topics I reply to. Notification frequency: "

They recently reactivated email notifications so they started showing up for my in my email as well.

Edited by CroNiX

Ok - so my post was in the wrong forum. NOw that a moderator-type has seen this, does that mean that it is being looked into? (Just received a third un-solicited post btw.)

Was that a test...  :tease-01:

Sorry, I moved the post. Unfortunately, I don't have the access privileges to look into your account.

you were subscribed to the php help forum section. had you bothered to look at the things that were posted in this thread, you could have stopped the emails yourself.

all followed topics and forum sections have been removed from your account.

you will need to modify the settings that CroNiX pointed out in his post above to prevent future email notifications.

Don't understand at all what you have done. As a member of this forum for several years now and having made hundreds of posts and received hundreds of messages I thought I knew what I was doing. Up through yesterday I had never received an email from any posted topic that I had not already made a response to. How did this behavior get altered since I certainly did not do it?

ginerjm,

I think you may have skimmed over some of the previous responses. As you know, if you reply to a topic, then you receive notifications when there are responses to that topic. But, there is also a button at the top of any topic called "Follow this topic". If you click that button, you would get notified to any changes to that topic - even if you did not post a reply in that thread.

AND, at the top of each forum board there is a button called "Follow this forum". If you click that you would receive notifications about any updates on that entire forum. It is possible that you had intentionally or unintentionally clicked that option some time in the past. But, since email notification were turned off you would not have received email notifications at the time the option was clicked. When email notifications were re-enabled, they started coming through since that option had previously been selected.

As mac_gyver stated

you were subscribed to the php help forum section

He was kind enough to turn that option off for you.

I only follow one forum - the php one. And up until this recent anomaly I never ever received a message of any kind from a specific post unless I made a post to that specific post.

All seems to be ok now. Don't know still what exactly was changed for my benefit, but I thank that person.