Web Host List

steelmanronald06

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, it took me 2 days to find one, all the German hosting servers seem to have it enabled but I don't speak German.

In the end if found http://arvixe.com , there pretty good apart from the overselling specs.

Unlimited pretty much everything :s

• 1 month later...

I have a browser based strategy game hosted on starthosting.nl

It's a really cheap host, you can get it for as little as 1 euro a month (to be paid annually). The host offers php and sql. Premium allows for a maximum of 10 sql databases and as much mail accounts. Downtime is about 2 times a year and usually for a few hours.

Downsides are that it offers no tech support whatsoever (not something i had problems with as everything works fine), you can't do cronjobs with the account and the server seems to be slow sometimes. The major downside however is the limited bandwidth you get (it's only 5 GB per month).

I expect the activity of my site to pick up this september (when schools start, i have a lot of students playing my game) and i'll probably get close to my bandwidth limit.

Right now the game allows for a maximum of 200 players (due to bandwidth), but i'm looking to expand my game.

Right now I'm searching for a host that offers the following:

-1 lots of bandwidth for a low price

-2 allows for unlimited amount of sql databases

-3 allows to do cronjobs

-4 has a fast server capable of handling large amounts of users who login at the same time

I've done some google searches and have looked and compared some dutch hosts. Right now i'm leaning towards simple-hosting because a basic account offers 40GB of bandwidth for 5 euro a month (= 60 euro a year, a price i can/willing to afford). However I have no idea how many sql databases i get with that account and i don't know if they allow to do cronjobs.

also...

The FTP upload of the account has to be basic and simple. Right now I'm using leechFTP to upload the pages (which works fine with my old computer (98se, yes not joking)).

I realize i'm being very picky, but if any of you know a host that offers what i'm looking for, then i love to hear it

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The major downside however is the limited bandwidth you get (it's only 5 GB per month).

Right now the game allows for a maximum of 200 players (due to bandwidth), but i'm looking to expand my game.

Is that a joke? 200 people at 5GB for bandwidth? Even with a maximum, so less than 200, I can't see it being active with more than (At 1 page refresh every 1 second with each page being 1KB which is very generous to give you but made up by 1 page click a second): 2 people.  Here I'll show you my math.

5 * 1024 * 1024 (5 gigabytes to kilobytes) / 2592000 (Time in a month) =  2

This of course is assuming they are on 24/7, but 2 people VS 200...Erm...

The 1st post of this thread (2006) really the shows the times then.  Back then mysql + PHP was hard to find specially in free hosting mysql was almost impossible to find, I even remember some "Free mysql" hosts popping up at those times.

Today its common, in fact every web host has it, even free hosts. So saying "Here are some web hosts that have php + mysql" really sounds stupid in today's context!? :P

The 1st post of this thread (2006) really the shows the times then.  Back then mysql + PHP was hard to find specially in free hosting mysql was almost impossible to find, I even remember some "Free mysql" hosts popping up at those times.

Today its common, in fact every web host has it, even free hosts. So saying "Here are some web hosts that have php + mysql" really sounds stupid in today's context!? :P

I have atleast 3 recorded free web host providers with no banners*, MySQL and PHP from 2006. If thats not enough, when I was looking for a free one back 3 years ago, there was a top 250 or maybe 100 list of PHP/MySQL free web hosts.

Although I must say the freehosting has been much more effective since 2006.

*2 out of 3 of them had no banners. The one that did have banners died out 2 years ago.

• 1 month later...

Are you sure you need 1 GB memory? This server uses about 1 GB of memory right now. It has a semi-large database, an active forum, an IRC server and corresponding IRC services as well as a daemon for a live chat client.

What kind of traffic do you have?

Well i don't have any traffic atm, I just want a server that will have some forums on, And i was making a site were every page is constantly loading a flash loop so :/ and i don't like bandwidth to be metered :-)

And as far as memory go's i would like as much as possible

You must be every salesman's dream. Easy to oversell. I bet you would do just fine with 256 MB. The benefit of a VPS is that you can change how much memory you're allowed to allocate while it's running, so it's just a matter of contacting the sales department asking for an upgrade.

Why would you pay for something you don't need? Especially seeing as you've got a £20/mo max. Reaching that will be much easier if you scale down your requirements to something realistic. There is no way you'll need 1 GB (or even 2 GB) memory if you don't even have any traffic yet.

Also, "unmetered bandwidth"? That's not going to happen. At least not within your price range.

You must be every salesman's dream. Easy to oversell. I bet you would do just fine with 256 MB. The benefit of a VPS is that you can change how much memory you're allowed to allocate while it's running, so it's just a matter of contacting the sales department asking for an upgrade.

Why would you pay for something you don't need? Especially seeing as you've got a £20/mo max. Reaching that will be much easier if you scale down your requirements to something realistic. There is no way you'll need 1 GB (or even 2 GB) memory if you don't even have any traffic yet.

Also, "unmetered bandwidth"? That's not going to happen. At least not within your price range.

Indeed however I would never recommend 256MB for a vps. Instead I would recommend around 400MB to 512MB of ram. Also some Operating Systems will require more ram than others and so if you think you don't need 400-512MB of ram then shared hosting would be the better option.

Also I myself have 750MB ram on my vps and it seems to be pritty good but for something like calculating pi to the last digit or a rainbow/hash table generator that generates 96^6 hashes for reverse lookup then around 1GB would be needed for effective results. Yes I am really wanting an upgrade with my current host but it's been a decade (3 months) since they had vps plans available and am waiting for the new cheaper better plans (Jumba).

[...] something like calculating pi to the last digit

Man... I've always wanted to know what the last digit of pi is. Can you post it here?

Besides, I wouldn't call calculating a lot of pi's digits or generating reverse lookup and rainbow tables for "normal usage".

[...] so if you think you don't need 400-512MB of ram then shared hosting would be the better option.

What makes you say that? What if you want to run custom services like your own SVN repository? What if you just don't want other people on your system for security/stability reasons? What if you just want to manage your own software or don't want to have to go through the hoops of various control panels to do something you can do efficiently from the shell?

The minimal required RAM for a desktopless Debian install is 64 MB RAM. The recommended minimum is 256 MB. If you don't install some bloated cPanel or whatever (or even worse, a desktop environment), you'll do just fine starting out with 256 MB. To be honest, I don't see the point in paying for more when you can upgrade at any time you want.

What makes you say that? What if you want to run custom services like your own SVN repository? What if you just don't want other people on your system for security/stability reasons? What if you just want to manage your own software or don't want to have to go through the hoops of various control panels to do something you can do efficiently from the shell?

Generally if your getting a SVN repository etc then you would purchase a plan that supports such a service. But yes in some cases vps can be better if you have the experience however you will receive very little support from your hosting company about any customizations you make to your vps unlike a shared host where those customizations are pre made.

I don't think you got my point. Take phpfreaks.com for instance. With all the custom installations and configurations, there is no way shared hosting would work for us even if they provided us with enough resources (disk space, bandwidth, memory, CPU time, etc.). There is just not enough flexibility for our needs. This is completely regardless of resource usage and others might very well have the need for this kind of flexibility without having high resource needs. Setting up an SVN repo was just an example.

I don't think you got my point. Take phpfreaks.com for instance. With all the custom installations and configurations, there is no way shared hosting would work for us even if they provided us with enough resources (disk space, bandwidth, memory, CPU time, etc.). There is just not enough flexibility for our needs. This is completely regardless of resource usage and others might very well have the need for this kind of flexibility without having high resource needs. Setting up an SVN repo was just an example.

I agree with you there because with a forum like PHPfreaks there are system analysis and technicians but when a single computer noob is trying to host a web forum or a download depo then the chances of that person being able to administrate the entire system without destroying the server is very slim. So that is why experience/knowledge is needed before setting up a vps. And in addition you get better support on shared servers.

So my advice, if you don't know how to administrate a vps then don't do it until you know it and if a shared plan suites your requirements then take the shared plan.