• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Linode is hands down the best service provider that I have ever used. Their support crew helped me set up a redundant private network, even though I was on their most basic plan at the time!

Linode? Overpopulated crowded as hell with 0 customer service?

Sauce:

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/4706/why-linode-sucks-a-personal-rant/p1

Linode? Overpopulated crowded as hell with 0 customer service?

I disagree. Their support is among the best, especially compared to the lowerend boxes (unless you know somebody / are friends with the providers.) They have always been courteous to me, even when I ask a stupid question... and I have done the same thing on lower boxes and gotten rude replies which gave off the vibe "why are you wasting my time?"

Plus their uptime is fantastic. I almost always see emails / tweets about how a node on a lower host is going to be rebooted or got DDoS'd so it had to be taken down for a bit, etc. But I've only once had that happen in the 3 years I've had a linode.

yeah it probably depends I guess who is hosted with them or whatnot, but you have see, that guy got null routed for 24hours and was trying to get customer service to help him and get information from the attack and was denied plenty of times, that == horrible customer service

i know and agree with you. your experience with them are probably great and they might be a good company but all companies have weaknesses and stuff.

the point i was trying to make is that Nyphrex just cant come in here and say "Hey This hosting provider is great!" and say "It was Linode!" w/o any sauce or anytype of review or confirmation that he actually has sites hosted with them, which indeed makes his point completely useless, until I stepped in and gave him a full out negative review, just proving my point that he should atleast make an effort to explain "WHY" that host is good.

(forgive my grammar...)

Now, if that user had a "GURU" tag or something to show proof that he was reputable or known , then yeah I wouldn't of replied, but someone just cannot come in here say "OH this hosting company is great!" w/o any sauce or  legitimate review/etc/etc...

the point i was trying to make is that Nyphrex just cant come in here and say "Hey This hosting provider is great!" and say "It was Linode!" w/o any sauce or anytype of review or confirmation that he actually has sites hosted with them, which indeed makes his point completely useless, until I stepped in and gave him a full out negative review, just proving my point that he should atleast make an effort to explain "WHY" that host is good.

Lots of people post really simple reviews like 'They worked great' or 'Support was good' without any particular evidence to back it up, same goes for negative reviews.  Why are you being a hater on this guy/Linode?  He did actually post a reason why he likes linode ("Their support crew helped me set up a redundant private network, even though I was on their most basic plan at the time!" aka They have good support).

I happen to agree that Linode is one of the best companies I have used.  One of my Linodes was poorly configured once and started eating up disk IO like crazy causing other nodes on that host to slow down.  Rather than them just shut it down like some places would they sent me a nice email asking me to please reconfigure it to not use so many resources.

Aside from wishing I could get more for less $$ (who doesn't?), I've no complaints with linode.  Their services has been great, their control panel is fantastic and very easy to use, I've had 100% uptime, and the two times I've needed to talk to support they have responded promptly and courteously.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this one has been posted but:

http://www.000webhost.com/

Offers FREE hosting of

• 1.5GB Data
  • 100GB Bandwidth
  • 2 MySQL Databases (I believe the DB Size limit is conjoined with your 1.5GB Data)
  • Far less restrictive than most other Free hosting (first I have seen to allow cURL requests)
  • Free web44.net subdomains (I was able to use No-IP.com using CNAME it just has to be registered as parked with 000webhost)

From php_info()

safe_mode on

disabled_functions

system,
show_source,
exec,
shell_exec,
proc_open,
passthru,
set_time_limit,
ini_restore,
mysql_list_dbs,
ini_alter,
dl,
pfsockopen,
openlog,
syslog,
symlink,
link,
chgrp,
leak,
popen,
escapeshellcmd,
apache_child_terminate,
apache_get_modules,
apache_get_version,
apache_getenv,
apache_note,
apache_setenv,
virtual,
mb_send_mail

php configure:

'--prefix=/usr/local/php5'
'--with-libdir=lib64'
'--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--disable-rpath'
'--enable-cli'
'--disable-cgi'
'--with-config-file-path=/usr/local/lib'
'--disable-all'
'--enable-libxml'
'--with-libxml-dir=/usr'
'--with-openssl=/usr'
'--with-kerberos=/usr'
'--with-pcre-regex=/usr'
'--with-zlib=/usr'
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr'
'--enable-bcmath'
'--enable-magic-quotes'
'--with-bz2=/usr'
'--enable-calendar'
'--enable-ctype'
'--with-curl=/usr'
'--with-curlwrappers'
'--enable-dom'
'--enable-exif'
'--enable-filter'
'--with-pcre-dir=/usr'
'--enable-ftp'
'--with-openssl-dir=/usr'
'--with-gd=/usr'
'--enable-gd-native-ttf'
'--with-jpeg-dir=/usr'
'--with-png-dir=/usr'
'--with-zlib-dir=/usr'
'--with-xpm-dir=/usr'
'--with-ttf=/usr'
'--with-freetype-dir=/usr'
'--with-t1lib=/usr'
'--with-gettext=/usr'
'--with-gmp=/usr'
'--enable-hash'
'--with-iconv'
'--enable-mbregex'
'--enable-mbstring'
'--with-mcrypt=/usr'
'--with-mhash=/usr'
'--with-mime-magic=/usr/share/magic.mime'
'--with-mysql=/usr'
'--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config'
'--with-sqlite'
'--enable-pdo'
'--with-pdo-sqlite'
'--with-pdo-mysql=/usr'
'--enable-posix'
'--enable-reflection'
'--enable-session'
'--enable-simplexml'
'--enable-sockets'
'--enable-spl'
'--enable-soap'
'--enable-json'
'--enable-inline-optimization'
'--enable-tokenizer'
'--with-regex=system'
'--enable-xml'
'--with-libexpat-dir=/usr'
'--enable-xmlreader'
'--with-xmlrpc'
'--enable-xmlwriter'
'--with-xsl=/usr'
'--enable-zip'
'--with-imap=/usr/lib64/dovecot/imap'
'--with-imap-ssl'
'--with-pear=/usr/local/lib/php'
'--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs'

So if someone is looking for something free to learn on or something and they are not restricted by the PHP settings this would be a good start, they do not advertise on any of your pages but they do have a global footer that might cause some issues

(IE: JSON calls)

<!-- Hosting24 Analytics Code -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://stats.hosting24.com/count.php"></script>
<!-- End Of Analytics Code -->

Besides the few quirks you're going to get with any free hosting, this IMO would be the best, I have never had a problem with the hosting and am hosting a media aggregator for a media sharing system that takes media links from select sources and compiles them into a different formatting to obtain the media information.