Modding Wordpress: how do you create a sortable archive...

toasty

I couldn't think of where else on PHP Freaks to post for help on [url=http://wordpress.org/support/]Wordpress[/url] so here goes (and feel free to move the thread if need be).

I've spent the past 8 hours today searching Google and the Wordpress forums for help on customizing my layout and so far I've turned up nothing.  The customization is bound to be simple and I'm surprised it hasn't been done already but as I said, so far I've not found anything.

What I want to do is customize the archive's layout so that it's sortable by the visitors to the page.  My site has a section on video-game reviews and that's exactly what I'm using Wordpress for.  Here's the functionality I'm looking for, nice and simple:

I'm trying to alter the archive so that the articles are sortable based on "custom fields" (however if there's a better way to add in fields to be sorted I'm open to suggestions).  My aim is to archive video game reviews and allow them to be sortable based upon the fields: name, date, platform (pc, ps2, xbox, etc), and rating (a decimal value: 6.5, etc).

There are a couple other features I'm looking to impliment but right now I'm taking it one step at a time and I see this sorting/display issue to be my biggest hurdle.

I've looked at several plugins and read through posts extensively and so far have found nothing.  I'm looking for what seems to be a very simple mod and I've been told that WP can do this no problem; but so far I'm empty handed.  If anyone knows what code needs to be changed, has examples of code, knows of plugins or anything, I could really, really use your help as I'm running out of places to look.

Thanks for your time everyone!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.