How to Make my site Online

Cucatrap

I'm getting ready to build my first ASP.NET/SQL Server website that will be hosted on some web host out there (long distance, different network). The work I've done in the past (pre-.NET) was all done on in-house servers. Since this website/web-app will be hosted elsewhere, I wanted to ask some questions to make sure that I'm doing things correctly.

We have a SQL SQL 2012 db hosted on a server here. I need to build a website (hosted remotely) that will both read and write data from this database as well as a couple of other SQL SQL 2012 (maybe 2014 also) databases located on machines here.

What is the best way to accomplish this via a hosted setup it on hosting provider? I plan to host my site with http://www.hostforlife.eu.

What features do I need to make sure I have when trying to select a web hosting provider?

What is the best method for accessing the databases here from the remotely-hosted website? I want to make sure I'm using the best methods for speed, security, stability, etc.

Will I just access the SQL Servers here directly, or do I need to have a SQL Server running at the web host also some type of a subscription setup? I asked these question in another group and I was told to use replication to

keep a copy of the databases local to the web host for performance reasons.

Any recommandations for quality ASP.NET web hosting providers in Europe? Any that you've had good service and results with?

I have no idea what the best way to accomplish this is and I'm feeling lost.

Thanks in advance for any and all information, I really appreciate it.

Any recommandations for quality ASP.NET web hosting providers in Europe? Any that you've had good service and results with?

ovh is a good host

Will I just access the SQL Servers here directly, or do I need to have a SQL Server running at the web host also some type of a subscription setup? I asked these question in another group and I was told to use replication to keep a copy of the databases local to the web host for performance reasons.

Replication is possible although I feel it would limit on what you can do if only used that.

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/715550/SQL-Server-Replication-Step-by-Step

Another route would be to create an api.

Host everything on the remote server, your local servers can send any data directly.

Would be able to schedule backups any location desired or even replication.

Create an api to get,post,put,delete,update any data

Can use a single password or set public and or private keys for access.

You could have your local server access the api with scripts you create.

All matters where,who and how much data are sending, how often.

If are unfamiliar with api's I wrote this post a bit ago. I personally prefer REST api's.

http://forums.phpfreaks.com/topic/291985-how-to-make-useful-native-apps/?p=1494550

What is the best method for accessing the databases here from the remotely-hosted website? I want to make sure I'm using the best methods for speed, security, stability, etc.

curl for scripts

mysql workbench for developing or direct access

phpmyadmin for some database management

I have no idea what the best way to accomplish this is and I'm feeling lost.

Take one step at a time and work it all out.

Hi QuickOldCar,

Thank you for your detail reply and I'm really appreciate it. I dont want to go with OVH. 

Hmm... For curl and MySQL, I dont have experience with this database. I have background in ASP.NET and I'm familiar with MSSQL database. Everyday, I use this tools. I just want to start my website and make it online, so I ask the suggesstion about how to do this. 

I ask hostforlife.eu about this issue and they said I can connect remotely to the database server. For restoration, I can also do via control panel. It seems this is a good point for me to start. :)

Have you experience with this hosting provider? What do you think about them? I google about their services and I see many good reviews about their hosting services. It makes me sure to register with them

I've not personally used hostforlife.eu.

There is good or bad experiences every host, it's hard to keep everyone happy.

I'm not one to use shared hosting as it seems that is where most issues arise, I only own or rent dedicated servers.

Since ms server 2012 they come with a graphical interface, server manager and server core, so seeing it is not an issue.

Plus is also remote desktop.

All that is just for directly managing the database though, you will still need to either replicate or write asp scripts with curl to make some magic happen between your remote and local server. Although it's possible for you to start doing backups and restores one machine to the other until figure out the rest of your goals.

From first hand experience...it's not enjoyable at all to transfer and deal with large data.

There is good or bad experiences every host, it's hard to keep everyone happy.

I love this word... haha... Yes, I also know the implication of using shared hosting. But, since this is the first time I want to host my site, I want the cheapest rate.... I dont want to spend huge money. I just want to test it first. If it is success, then maybe I will rent dedicated server.

Yeah, with dedicated server, we can rdp anytime on the server, we can do what we like... hehe... May I know where do you rent your dedicated server? Are they good? 

Thank you for your time to reply me. I'm really appreciate it. I'm newbie... hahaha....

The one you selected be fine.

Besides my 2 dedicated at my home I also have a vps with who knows who, is paid for for 6 years. They keep selling the company to other people, originally my friend owned it and I paid $6 a month in advance.

Have rented the biggest dedicated server with limestone networks zero issues for 3 years and awesome support, usa based.

Could not have one nude image there, they were strict.

I have a search engine and websites index so needed to move on.

I've rented my own and also managed other peoples servers pretty much every popular hosting out there, most really suck and are overpriced.

You don't want ovh for some reason but I found these servers a lot better priced than anyone out there.

For sure would have enough speed,cpu,memory and storage to do many things.

https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/enterprise/

It will all depend what your site is actually doing, if shared hosting can't do it are forced to go dedicated.

I set up a client with the VPS Classic 4 there not long ago and worked well.

I wouldn't even consider having a server less than these specs. For 22 bucks a month can't beat it.

https://www.ovh.com/us/vps/vps-classic.xml

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.