When showing user admin page - Password Question

shaggycap

I'm building a user admin section on my CMS, and have a page showing the details of a user that you can edit.

I can't just display the password field as its an MD5 hash, so what would be the best approach here? Obviously I can't decode it so I wondered how you dealt with something like this?

[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=117581.msg480844#msg480844 date=1165538527]
Or just not MD5 your password, which is highly ill advised.
[/quote]
I suspect this might be some sort of twisted sarcasm, but if it isn't, would you care to explain why it's a good idea to store passwords in plain text?

[quote author=Albright link=topic=117581.msg485135#msg485135 date=1166141029]
[quote author=steelmanronald06 link=topic=117581.msg480844#msg480844 date=1165538527]
Or just not MD5 your password, which is highly ill advised.
[/quote]
I suspect this might be some sort of twisted sarcasm, but if it isn't, would you care to explain why it's a good idea to store passwords in plain text?
[/quote]He said that it was ill advised, meaning he's saying its a bad thing to do.

[quote author=Daniel0 link=topic=117581.msg485297#msg485297 date=1166166677]
Take a look at [url=http://php.net/mcrypt]mcrypt[/url]
[/quote]

Mcrypt has decryptable algorithms, not hashes. For passwords use hashes.

http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/ref.hash.php

not necessarily..
[code]<?php

if (sha1($password . $salt) !== $passwordFromDB)
{
    if (md5($password . $salt) !== $passwordFromDB)
    {
        die('password incorrect');
    }
    else
    {
        $passwordFromDB = sha1($password . $salt);
    }
}

echo 'Welcome';

?>[/code]

edit: removed false-false.

I think you want to remove those ! from before sha1 or md5, but yeah, that should work; just transparently re-hash the password if the old hash algorithm shows that it is correct.

One thing to keep in mind is that md5() creates a string of 32 characters, and sha1() creates 40 characters. If you've set up the password field in your database to only hold 32 characters, you should modify it first to fit all 40 characters that a sha1() call will give you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.