Lowerung CPU Temperatures

Leverkusen

A high temperature would be more like 90C. 60-90C is a fairly wide range to go by, low end is great, high end is when you should try to do something about it.

Yeah, I've had "crunches" (vague term) that were caused by wires hitting a fan. Particularly the fan's own wires. I've also had one that had a defect where the blades were actually hitting the sides of the fan.

• 1 month later...

80-90C for a modern CPU is a bit on the warm side, in my opinion. It's probably not going to do any immediate harm, and it should shut itself down if it gets too hot, but I definitely wouldn't want to run at those temps for long. Idling at 60C is definitely not okay with me.

Make sure that your heatsink is mounted properly, with a good quality thermal paste. Don't try to spread it like peanut butter like some people try to tell you, just put a pea sized dot in the center and you're good.

It could just be that your tower doesn't have very good airflow. Make sure all of the fans are working properly and running at the correct RPM, and make sure all of the fan grills are free of dust/debris. Make sure there is not a whole jungle of wiring directly in the flow path.

Could also be that ambient temperatures are too high. What is the temperature in that room?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.