Does anyone use phpstorm for their IDE

fastsol

I downloaded the new phpstorm 9 trial 2 days ago to see if I like it enough to buy a license.  I am trying to figure out how to have the project files pane on the left indicate when a file has been changed or is different than the web host.  From what I have been reading, this might not be possible, which seems rather dumb as I would think this would be a standard feature of such a high level program.  Also I want to get an additional color theme but the folder you are supposed to put the xml file in is not there in the new 9 version.

I have emailed the support team twice with questions and have not heard back from them, typical.  Another company that wants your money but won't answer a single question you have about said product.  You can call a "sales" person but they're dumb as rocks about actual features or usage.

Any insights?

Yes, I've used it for several years now. I absolutely love it, it beats the pants off every other IDE on the market.

For your first issue: I'm not sure, as that's not my typical workflow. If you're using version control you can definitely integrate that and see exactly what has changed. But if you just mean with like FTP or something, I have no idea.

Where are you looking for the color theme?

Give their support a chance - they're good guys! You could try asking in the community forums as well.

• Like 1

If your project is coupled/synced to the FTP then you don't need to know which file is changed, since it uploads it for you when it saves the file.

You'll see it when you CTRL+TAB, it'll say at the bottom: "Uploaded file X to server Y in Z seconds."

That said, this is not a typical workflow. Like scootsah already pointed out normally you'd use a VCS then commit and deploy from there. That said, you can also deploy from within the IDE when you commit.

CTRL+K (or VCS > Commit Changes) in the right pane it says: "After commit > Upload files to:"

You can also add several tools that will execute (like Phing) when you commit etc.. I love this IDE too, the only limit is your imagination I guess :)

Edited by ignace

Yeah i like the database stuff, although it's a bit limiting at times. I don't like the table/column editor. It's great to display some data or run some quick queries but that's about all I like it for.

Navicat is so much better for DB stuff.

And yeah, the IDE has a lot of features. You'll continually learn little productivity shortcuts that totally make your day. Once you start learning the shortcuts and customizing the live templates, you can totally fly.

It is a massive IDE, and so chock full of shortcuts and features that you'd need Raymond Babbitt on hand to remember them all.

You can print a cheat sheet by going to Help > Default Keymap Reference.

Navicat is so much better for DB stuff.

I must admit I use Sequel PRO for actual querying (no real reason just force of habit I guess). The only reason I have the database navigator active is for autocompletion of tables and columns in my code.

• Like 1

So how do you make the IDE automatically change all occurrences of a var within a code block or page when you edit one of the vars?  I've seen it in videos where they are editing one var and it changes the others as you type the new var name.

In response to my initial question, tech support finally got back to me after 3 days.  The only way at this time to achieve what I wanted is to use VCS.  Not the answer I wanted, but the answer I expected.

Yeah I saw that aspect, but there must be something else cause on the videos it's being done right as they type, but come to think of it they probably aren't using phpstorm and maybe that's the key factor here.

Yeah I saw that aspect, but there must be something else cause on the videos it's being done right as they type, but come to think of it they probably aren't using phpstorm and maybe that's the key factor here.

Perhaps they used multiple cursors. If you hold alt and click somewhere you can get multiple cursors. So, for example, they could have held alt and highlighted the variable in multiple places and then replaced them all at once.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.